Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
From the New Year's Eve fireworks. Some of the fountains firework launcher thingy boxes (aka "cakes") caught fire.

Sa67E0y.jpg

Last edited:

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
My wife's eye is unquestionably at least a bit better than mine. However she has no patience for the technical details, things like knowing that you need to use a shutter speed of 1/30 or slower when imaging LEDs, otherwise you're likely to capture them during the dark cycle.

She wants the camera to take care of exposure and focus leaving her free to concentrate 100% on the framing.
I used to feel the same way. Now I want to understand more of the technical aspects of camera and shooting.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
2cb2f7c48d677fc53eb8f61be665.jpg

I finally managed to get out. :) Thanks Molly. I had put my mind on reflections and puddles. After half an hour walking around I found a nice one. Never crawled on busy pavement before. Fortunately I had a camera in my hand.

There are more shots of this evening. Some I will post, most will end up in a dark archive.

10eb2f54dd366156712b6b9fed1c.jpg

Trainstation
Oh, you are working ahead! Reflections comes later in the year. 😂

But seriously, these are lovely and thoughtful; thank you for participating.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2137895

Got this one of the Roebling Bridge in Cincinnati right before heading into the Bengals Bills game. Felt weird to post this until we heard that Hamlin is recovering well. Played around a bit to balance the exposure length and ISO, but was hoping to get a more glossy water and probably bumped the ISO down too much. Next time I'm on the river I'll probably play around with it some more...

Sony a7Riv \ ISO 100 \ 24mm \ f/22 \ 2.5"
This is just stunning. I love the blue hour coupled with the warm yellow lights.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
what kind of fountains caught on fire??? hard core new year's eve!
😂 Okay, that might not have been really the correct term. The German word for the things I mean translates to "fireworks fountains". After some research I found that these things are actually called "cakes".

So, it was just some cakes on fire... ;)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
😂 Okay, that might not have been really the correct term. The German word for the things I mean translates to "fireworks fountains". After some research I found that these things are actually called "cakes".

So, it was just some cakes on fire... ;)
oh that makes a lot more sense!!

Reactions: Janichsan

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Fifty-two years ago I had this construction toy. My wife hunted it down on eBay. Still an amazing amount of fun!
14 PM, main lense,ISO 640, f1.7, nightime in darkened room.

Attachments

• A51C5A49-27FA-44C9-8E98-D6A1827808ED.jpeg
    A51C5A49-27FA-44C9-8E98-D6A1827808ED.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 71

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Fifty-two years ago I had this construction toy. My wife hunted it down on eBay. Still an amazing amount of fun!
14 PM, main lense,ISO 640, f1.7, nightime in darkened room.
what a great surprise!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
1/50s, 25mm, ISO 640. Almost straight from camera JPG with a monochrome filter on. I did make my lenses look a little cleaner than they normally are. Sitting on a small walnut table I made about 30 years ago in high school wood shop. Ugh, it didn't seem that long ago till I thought about it.
View attachment 2138208
everything is longer ago when you start thinking about it!

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
This is my entry to this week‘s theme. I took it during the New Year Eve‘s fireworks, but it probably would have worked without them.

CC is always welcome, however I noticed that noone has asked for it yet, so this is definitely not a must

Canon EOS 70D with EF-S 18-135 IS STM
ISO 400 | 22 mm | f/5.6

IMG_7430_FF_P52.jpg

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that…

Last Tulips.jpeg

Sony A6000
Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm F1.7
DXO PhotoLab 5 RAW processing

Nearly missed the deadline!

The wilted Tulips of Christmas (Seen here all bright and perky in the POTD thread.)

Shot in our bathroom, black bed cover as a backdrop.
Handheld flashlight bounced off the ceiling.
Manual focus lens from 1987(ish).
RAW file processed in DXO PhotoLab 5.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This is my entry to this week‘s theme. I took it during the New Year Eve‘s fireworks, but it probably would have worked without them.

CC is always welcome, however I noticed that noone has asked for it yet, so this is definitely not a must

Canon EOS 70D with EF-S 18-135 IS STM
ISO 400 | 22 mm | f/5.6

View attachment 2138341
I don't really have much in the way of CC for this. I do think you could rotate it very slightly clockwise as the tower in the back right is your vertical and I think it's very slightly not straight (same with a couple of verticals seen through the second full bridge arch. It's very minor. I love the rim light you got on the subject on the bridge, and the two people on the ground have a great shadow contrast to the hazier light behind them. The actual fireworks are kind of a secondary story to the people, IMO, but I really like this. 🙂

Reactions: ffff14P

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that…

View attachment 2138531

Sony A6000
Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm F1.7
DXO PhotoLab 5 RAW processing

Nearly missed the deadline!

The wilted Tulips of Christmas (Seen here all bright and perky in the POTD thread.)

Shot in our bathroom, black bed cover as a backdrop.
Handheld flashlight bounced off the ceiling.
Manual focus lens from 1987(ish).
RAW file processed in DXO PhotoLab 5.
Keep this technique in your back pocket for later in the year where there is a week on artificial light. 😉 I have a friend who does the most amazing florals, both in terms of the flower arrangement and her strobe/flash work lighting them. This image reminds me of her work.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Very interesting @mollyc I am not sure how much I can control with my 13 PM though it is better at low light or nighttime than any other of my iPhones. If I dig out my old Sony Cybershot may try a bit with your advice - also we for our classroom photography (usually for social media but still).

next weeks learning is shallow depth of field, you will nail it with portrait mode on your 13PM.

Reactions: mollyc

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
I don't really have much in the way of CC for this. I do think you could rotate it very slightly clockwise as the tower in the back right is your vertical and I think it's very slightly not straight (same with a couple of verticals seen through the second full bridge arch. It's very minor. I love the rim light you got on the subject on the bridge, and the two people on the ground have a great shadow contrast to the hazier light behind them. The actual fireworks are kind of a secondary story to the people, IMO, but I really like this. 🙂
Thanks a lot!
You‘re right, the verticals are not perfectly vertical, but, as you also mentioned, it’s only a minor thing and tbh I don’t bother.
I also like that the fireworks are only secondary, however they’re adding a reference to the time when the photo was taken

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks a lot!
You‘re right, the verticals are not perfectly vertical, but, as you also mentioned, it’s only a minor thing and tbh I don’t bother.
I also like that the fireworks are only secondary, however they’re adding a reference to the time when the photo was taken
Yes, having those in camera "date stamps" often makes an image on a personal basis, even if it doesn't make sense for others. 🙂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.