Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 25: Reflection

We are closing into nearly halfway done on this project! This week is all about reflections.

main.jpg

Reflections are a great way to add extra visual depth or layering in your images. They can be very simple, a literal photo taken of a mirror and subject, or they can be complex and mysterious. Reflections are surprisingly easy to find throughout the day and travels; even something as simple as a small puddle can offer really great compositions.

Photo_02.jpg

When composing images with reflections, take care to use them in a way that do not obscure your main subject too much, or if they do, that the reflection adds to the story in a way that invites your viewer to stay with the image longer.

2023-06-19_0004.jpg

You can use reflections to strengthen landscape images across a body of water, but they don’t always have to be a direct mirror image; even waves that are receding back to the ocean can offer a softer reflection of a sky or pier.

2023-06-19_0001.jpg

Using actual mirrors or mirror type of windows is a good way to find reflections indoors, and don’t overlook using things like a stainless steel fridge or oven in the right light.

2023-06-19_0002.jpg

2023-06-19_0003.jpg

2023-06-19_0007.jpg

2023-06-19_0005.jpg

Lastly, you can also use prisms or crystals near your lens to create a reflection where there otherwise isn’t any. There’s also a handy phone trick where you can hold your phone just under your lens of a big camera to use as a mirror of the frame, but I personally have never had much luck in getting this to work. I’ll have to try this again more deliberately this week. The last time I tried it I was using the older style of phone with a larger white bezel; I’d probably have more luck now with the edge to edge display of the newer iPhones. If you have an ipad, you could also use that and place small objects carefully on the screen and use the glass as a reflector.

2023-06-19_0006.jpg

This is definitely a have fun and get out and explore kind of week, so go forth and have fun!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I really like these.

So the first one is closer to what I wanted to suggest to you from your first post. Your reflection was kind of lost in the first one and it was really a photo about a counter. The second one you got a much stronger reflection, and your composition is better since the reflection isn't competing with the main subject. I haven't had a chance to try this in my own house but I don't think I'll get very far because my counters are honed and not polished. I'm glad you went back for a second attempt. 🙂

I really like your third one too; were you shooting outside towards a window?

• Love
Reactions: katbel and bondr006

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I really like these.

So the first one is closer to what I wanted to suggest to you from your first post. Your reflection was kind of lost in the first one and it was really a photo about a counter. The second one you got a much stronger reflection, and your composition is better since the reflection isn't competing with the main subject. I haven't had a chance to try this in my own house but I don't think I'll get very far because my counters are honed and not polished. I'm glad you went back for a second attempt. 🙂

I really like your third one too; were you shooting outside towards a window?
Thanks!
Yes, I totally agree with you about the first one. I just wanted a reflection but the weather is not cooperating and my jet-lag neither 😉
So today I tried something else
The 3rd one is outside towards a window mixing some reflections and tiny flowers inside.

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Web_June_21_2023_002.jpg

Web_June_21_2023_001-2.jpg

Two from today's walk. The second one is a spot that I repeatedly take photos of but I have yet to be happy with the results. The water is really a storm water retention pond that is often dry. But when it has recently rained it does lend a nice reflection. Unfortunately you can tell that it was actually raining when I took this so the reflection isn't clear enough with the raindrop rings. I'll keep trying.

I also took this one, but it wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped. For one, I should have stopped down, and also I think the puddle just wasn't quite large enough. The good thing about working with a theme like this is that you keep practicing until you hit upon just the right thing. It's okay to take photos that miss the mark because then you can make them better the next time (or in the future).

Web_June_21_2023_001-3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.