Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 38: Juxtaposition/Contrast

Dear P52ers,

Unfortunately I was called away from home today for a family emergency and I don't have time to get a thorough write up done, nor did I have a chance to shoot a new photo. This week's theme is Juxtaposition. I offered this theme as a weekly photo contest in June 2022 if you want to see some examples from MR members and my thoughts on how they worked for the theme.

Think hard/soft, light/dark, urban/country, etc. Use your imagination. The image below is a good example, with the angular lines and harsh light creating graphical shadows, and then coupled with the little bit of bright greenery in the corner.

Web_June_11_2022_001-2.jpg

Typically juxtaposition implies some form of tension or even humor. Last week on my daily walk I saw this giant burly guy wearing all black clothes, including black socks and shoes, and looking somewhat imposing, yet he was walking this teeny tiny dog. It would have made for a funny photo.

However, this week you can also just find regular contrast, maybe use some complementary color palettes, or even a black and white photo. This will be a very self guided week and open to even more interpretation than normal!

I'll be out of town probably until Wednesday afternoon, so my time for comments will be limited. I did bring a camera with me since one lives in my purse, and I hope to find something new to share with you later.

Please cheer each other on this week! ❤️

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 38: Juxtaposition/Contrast

Dear P52ers,

Unfortunately I was called away from home today for a family emergency and I don't have time to get a thorough write up done, nor did I have a chance to shoot a new photo. This week's theme is Juxtaposition. I offered this theme as a weekly photo contest in June 2022 if you want to see some examples from MR members and my thoughts on how they worked for the theme.

Think hard/soft, light/dark, urban/country, etc. Use your imagination. The image below is a good example, with the angular lines and harsh light creating graphical shadows, and then coupled with the little bit of bright greenery in the corner.

View attachment 2266628

Typically juxtaposition implies some form of tension or even humor. Last week on my daily walk I saw this giant burly guy wearing all black clothes, including black socks and shoes, and looking somewhat imposing, yet he was walking this teeny tiny dog. It would have made for a funny photo.

However, this week you can also just find regular contrast, maybe use some complementary color palettes, or even a black and white photo. This will be a very self guided week and open to even more interpretation than normal!

I'll be out of town probably until Wednesday afternoon, so my time for comments will be limited. I did bring a camera with me since one lives in my purse, and I hope to find something new to share with you later.

Please cheer each other on this week! ❤️
I hope everything will turn ok for you. Wishing you all the best ❤️

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
I’ve skipped this topic for the longest time. It was something I really wanted to invest some time in, because I feel like this is quiet an important topic in photography. So now, at the end of this year long project, I finally managed to shoot some photos for it. However, contrast, esp. colour contrast, is something I’d like to focus on more in future.

Here some impressions from Marseille

Light and Dark Contrast
P52_WEEK41_CONTRAST_IMG_6498_FF.jpeg

P52_WEEK41ALT_CONTRAST_IMG_6481_FF.jpeg

Colour Contrast
P52_WEEK41ALT_CONTRAST_IMG_6532_FF.jpeg

Quantity Contrast (big vs. small, one vs. many)
P52_WEEK41ALT_CONTRAST_IMG_6626_FF.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.