Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 49: Favorite

Web_December_04_2023_001.jpg

As we ease into the holidays and the end of our project, assignments get easier and less involved. This week your task is to capture something that is your “favorite.” Whether that is a mug, as I have featured (and yes, you saw it just two weeks ago), a holiday tradition, a meal, a person, a book…well, you can choose anything you like, I’d love to see it. Keep in mind all the lessons we’ve done throughout the year and put your skills to use to tell me a story or two about your favorite things.

Cheers to an easy week.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-12-04 ~ _R5_3324.jpg

One of a pair: this pillar is a favorite thing. At a park entrance I often use. Really beautiful markers, inspired by excavations at Delphi and designed/built 120 years ago.

"Set on a high square plinth, each shaft is banded at the base, above which is a campaniform carved with a frieze of Greek anthemion. Four girdles of acanthus leaves alternate with four fluted drums and the whole is crowned by a flaring acanthus capital. A bronze tripod of utmost simplicity is atop the shaft; the sculptured caryatids supporting the urns in the original are eliminated without any suggestion of incompleteness. Stanford White conceived the pillars in 1906, the year he was killed... .”

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
It's a favorite thing for me to be out on the water, especially at dusk

2023-12-06 ~ _R5_3643.jpg

Today, I was en route to the kids' school. The scenic route there includes a favorite place, the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. All along the waterfront in New York the city is cut off from the water by highways and expressways; but in Brooklyn Heights, the planners stacked the highway, and put a walkway over it.

2023-12-06 ~ _R5_3729.jpg

Up there offers amazing views:

2023-12-06 ~ _R5_3831.jpg

This is a favorite version of my commute.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Back in the late 80's and 1990 dad did a bunch of quick carvings. Hoping to sell a few and supplement his meager income. They were done either on native Colorado Aspen or shop scraps. Dad died late 1992 and I thought he had not done any carving just for me. In 2011 after moving mom to assisted living, I was cleaning up her home preparing to sell it. Discovered this one, carved on native Aspen, behind a book case in the third bedroom. I knew instantly dad had intended it for me. Somehow he managed to give it to me nearly 20 years after his death, at a time I needed it the most. Thanks dad, it is indeed a favourite.
NOTE: I have cloned out the sig.
PC081190B.jpg

Last edited:

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Back in the late 80's and 1990 dad did a bunch of quick carvings. Hoping to sell a few and supplement his meager income. They were done either on native Colorado Aspen or shop scraps. Died dad late 1992 and I thought he had not done any carving just for me. In 2011 after moving mom to assisted living, I was cleaning up her home preparing to sell it. Discovered this one, carved on native Aspen, behind a book case in the third bedroom. I knew instantly dad had intended it for me. Somehow he managed to give it to me nearly 20 years after his death, at a time I needed it the most. Thanks dad, it is indeed a favourite.
View attachment 2322884
Amazing, and truly, truly special

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Back in the late 80's and 1990 dad did a bunch of quick carvings. Hoping to sell a few and supplement his meager income. They were done either on native Colorado Aspen or shop scraps. Dad died late 1992 and I thought he had not done any carving just for me. In 2011 after moving mom to assisted living, I was cleaning up her home preparing to sell it. Discovered this one, carved on native Aspen, behind a book case in the third bedroom. I knew instantly dad had intended it for me. Somehow he managed to give it to me nearly 20 years after his death, at a time I needed it the most. Thanks dad, it is indeed a favourite.
View attachment 2322884
So special!🥲💗

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.