Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-02-04 ~ _R5_1957.jpg

From a high hill (terminal moraine) in Green-Wood Cemetery, looking north to midtown Manhattan. For a "layers" photograph shooting with a long telephoto feels like cheating! as near and far are yoked together. Even the buildings in the background are layered, in that some are in Brooklyn, some downtown Manhattan while the tall towers are further uptown -- the tallest at 42nd St, the next tallest way up at 58th Street, an so on.

I've made a few versions of this picture in the past, and sometimes I experiment with a very small aperture so the background is less blurred out -- one can e.g., get the Empire State in the picture by just shifting a little bit. But this picture really only works in the winter; by spring enough leaves on branches will really restrict how much of the city background can enframe this tomb.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2152729

Intriguing layers of the office during a sunrise.

CC welcome.

Canon 80D + EF 50mm F1.4, ISO 800, 1/100@F1.8

Wow this is really stunning. It's so abstract and yet geometric at the same time, and the color in the midst of the sort of black and white is really great.

f820eaa6f0b9a37f8f1d63e6e49c.jpg

Revisited my favorite bridge

I saw the comment about dentures. So I really didn't think dentures, but it does sort of look like teeth or a jaw. It's a really clever trompe l'oeil at first and the lighting and angles are great for this.

I walk through a wooded area on my daily walk and keep trying to take an image like this but haven't quite nailed it yet. This is great for layering.

Reactions: oblomow

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Birthday breakfast hash browns…

Hopefully the front, mid and background layering works. 🙂

View attachment 2153395

Thank you very much!

Here's the cake… My star of a husband baked this — low carb monster!

As it is not part of the p52, I'll add it as a spoiler!

Happy birthday! Sorry I missed it yesterday, but how can you go wrong with hashbrowns for breakfast and cake for dinner! (PS - your cake photo also has layers 😉 )

• Love
Reactions: arkitect

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2153409
.. taken during a morning walk yesterday.

Another one that is using lines as a use of layers. The weeping mortar also adds a lot of depth here. 🙂

View attachment 2153494 View attachment 2153493

Not entirely happy in terms of „layers“, but the best I produced or saw in my imagination for this topic so far.

These are actually great in terms of layers. The first one has a decided sense of depth (which is what we are after when looking for layers) with the live cat in the foreground and the ceramic cat in the background. The second one you use a "shoot through" technique which is also a great use and form of layers. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2153640 View attachment 2153638 View attachment 2153637 View attachment 2153636

I've found this week's theme to be surprisingly challenging :) . I took a lot of shots but nothing has really stood out - here are few I selected but I think I'm going to keep returning to this theme over the course of this year. What I love about this is it gets me out with my cameras thinking differently than I normally would.
Okay, so the lion is a bit surprising! And in snow!

But yes, I'm glad that some weeks are challening (as you saw above, I didn't even have great luck this week, but maybe later today)....when you start to focus on one small aspect of composition or technique for an entire week you it sticks with you later and you unknowingly start incorporating them into your work later down the road, and over time your work will start evolving with more substance.

This isn't to say (for everyone here!) that your work is bad, but I always find a lot of growth personally for stuff like this, even if it isn't immediate. It's kind of why I am a photo class junky and like to take different ones. When I feel myself uninspired or stagnant I try to find a class that will make me think differently than I currently am.

I love the first one here of this group the best.

• Love
Reactions: r.harris1

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2153674

From a high hill (terminal moraine) in Green-Wood Cemetery, looking north to midtown Manhattan. For a "layers" photograph shooting with a long telephoto feels like cheating! as near and far are yoked together. Even the buildings in the background are layered, in that some are in Brooklyn, some downtown Manhattan while the tall towers are further uptown -- the tallest at 42nd St, the next tallest way up at 58th Street, an so on.

I've made a few versions of this picture in the past, and sometimes I experiment with a very small aperture so the background is less blurred out -- one can e.g., get the Empire State in the picture by just shifting a little bit. But this picture really only works in the winter; by spring enough leaves on branches will really restrict how much of the city background can enframe this tomb.

The warm full sun really makes this image for me; the shadows add such a great element of depth and highlight the layers in and of the statue. Really well done.

Reactions: _timo_redux_

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I just haven't found the time to take anything with my proper camera this week, so I have only some somewhat fitting results taken with my iPhone.

YBW23T8.jpg

JuOf8ka.jpg

Yes, the good thing about phone cameras is that they are always with you. And though you might not get the image you really want, you get something, which is better than nothing! And for projects like this it's more about the thought process than the actual results sometimes. ❤️

But I like both of these, especially the tree one. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: Janichsan

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Yes, the good thing about phone cameras is that they are always with you. And though you might not get the image you really want, you get something, which is better than nothing! And for projects like this it's more about the thought process than the actual results sometimes. ❤️

But I like both of these, especially the tree one. 🙂
Thanks! As the saying goes: the best camera is always the one you have with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.