Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 50 | Bokeh

main.jpg

With two weeks to go until Christmas, it’s time for something festive. I’ve tried really hard all year not to have themes that were overly specific to a celebration or holiday. I realize that some of you may not celebrate any of the December holidays, but that does not preclude you from finding things to photograph. Opportunities abound with or without twinkle lights.

This week we are going to shoot scenes for bokeh. Most people define bokeh as just the round circles we get when we shoot wide open with some sort of light source behind our subject. However, the technical definition of bokeh is “the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens.” It actually doesn’t even matter if there are lights in the background, any scene is capable of having bokeh if the depth of field is shallow enough. MR member @bunnspecial wrote a good article about bokeh a couple of years ago with some great examples.

In essence, this is a corollary lesson to the Shallow Depth of Field lesson we had at the beginning of the year. But instead of working solely to throw the background out of focus, see how different lenses produce different types of backgrounds; are areas that go to circles full circles throughout the frame, or do they turn to cat’s eye shaped towards the edges? Does the background have a slight twist to it? Are color transitions smooth throughout? Any other qualities you can describe about a background? Do you have one lens that you love more than others for the background it produces?

2023-12-11_0002.jpg

For me, I think my all time favorite lens (at present at least) is my Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4. The background makes a very slight twist similar to a vintage Helios, I love how it flattens the background almost like a telephoto when used wide open, and I personally like the shape of the specular highlights and that they are not perfect throughout the frame. Others value consistent shaping throughout, and many very expensive lenses are designed that way.

2023-12-11_0001.jpg

For those of you embracing the holiday season, finding an area Christmas lights in the background is a great way to experiment, whether indoors or out. If you prefer something less seasonal then cityscapes, trees, mountains, well, anything really, can be made into a beautiful background when shooting wide open.

2023-12-11_0003.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2323802
Could this be considered bokeh?
Same lens 85mm f/1.4
Yes, you can look at the out of focus areas, the petals, and the transition between the two main background colors. If you used a different lens with similar framing, the bokeh would look different.

Another way to approach this week is try different lenses with the same subject and background and see how the out of focus areas change. Knowing how a certain lens renders the out of focus areas can help you choose which lens you want for a specific situation.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
These could have been improved "in camera" but still could be in Photoshop (Selecting subject and blurring background on layers). Default with the long lens is shutter priority with less attention to aperture, but I could have overridden with either aperture or full manual. Does show some separation, but not that strong.

While the Blue Heron (and the small birds earlier) were at 600mm and some compositional cropping in post, the Wood Stork was so close I had to zoom the lens back to 270mm. Was happy with the DOF blur for what it was, but not true bokeh.
Wetlands Dec 2023 - 2500px-8.jpg
Wetlands Dec 2023 - 2500px-3.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
OK! You can't get much further outside of my wheelhouse than Bokeh. My go to is maximum depth of field, which is one reason I enjoy working with the little waterproof Oly.
Anyways a couple of tries using that camera in close, at the longer end of its 4.5-18mm zoom.

View attachment 2324657

View attachment 2324658

thanks for trying something outside your comfort zone 🙂

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
OK! You can't get much further outside of my wheelhouse than Bokeh.

I had my macro in my bag today because I needed it at another jobsite. I was thinking about this quote, about having as much as possible in focus, and remembering when I started more seriously shooting pictures, with my first dSLR, I couldn't get enough of the bokeh:

"Yeah, but her ears are not in focus." --"BOKEH."
"Yeah, but one eye isn't that sharp." --"But would you look at that delicious BOKEH."

Anyway, the fever passed, and while I enjoy some bokehliciousness, I actually don't do much of it anymore.

I ended up having to walk to a jobsite today, and enroute took a moment to stop and look at some really nice, still turning leaves. Some kind of bush we have here that stays ruby red, or oranges and purples, well into December. Out came the macro and a few attempts.

It was well into shooting when I remembered that 100mm macro + being stopped down = pudding. A nice pudding, but pudding:

2023-12-14 ~ _R5_5284.jpg

(should've noticed more those deep deep purples -- hey, here's my rainbow shot!)

Or this:

2023-12-14 ~ _R5_5296.jpg

I did stop down to f/11 eventually; I'm putting that effort in the pix of the day thread.

I kinda wanna go back again, when I'm not in a rush, but you know what they say about going back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.