Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skopsko

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Losing Touch

It feels Apple is becoming Microsoft, constantly just repackaging the products as of late. There's nothing significantly new about these new iPhones. New colors? Really innovative. Changed the look and color of the icons? Wow. Perhaps it goes to show again how important Steve Jobs was for Apple. That said, I'm really tempted by the new Galaxy S4.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
It feels Apple is becoming Microsoft, constantly just repackaging the products as of late. There's nothing significantly new about these new iPhones. New colors? Really innovative. Changed the look and color of the icons? Wow. Perhaps it goes to show again how important Steve Jobs was for Apple. That said, I'm really tempted by the new Galaxy S4.

ya bigger screen, that's real innovation.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Yeah we'll have to see. I just think they are fake because of the i0S7 colours covering the screens.

I have to disagree that the iPod Touch death is inevitable.

I see no reason for iPod Touch existence anymore once low cost iPhone touch the market.

For the price alone, the iPhone 5C might cost you $300 - $400 if you buy it off contract. That gets you an A6 CPU and anything iPhone 5 has. Most importantly it's a phone, not just "music player", so it does anything an iPod Touch could, and some more.

Not to mention the iPod sales number has been declining significantly YoY. It will be a slow death, maybe .. but it's an inevitable one. Look at the iPod Classic. Fine example of market and sales neglect. Not "dead" but not really "live" either.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
So does it look similar or much cheaper? Make up your mind.
Than let me educate you. You can call me a fanboy, because i would never buy an Android device. But I'm not fanatic about the Apple brand. I just don't want to suffer from multiple profit-center syndrome anymore.

What is MPCS, you ask? Open up your typical self-assembly PC. Do you see how fancy the graphics card looks? And those ridiculous heatsink on your ram chips? Thats because everything in a PC is its own profit center and must be sold individually with a margin. But you don't have a better computer, if your graphics card looks good, only if what it does looks good.

In Androidland every company wants something different from me. Samsung wants me to buy hardware. Amazon wants me to buy content. And Google wants me to see their adds and give them my data, so they can sell it to advertisers. All the effort these companies undertake to make a profit, amounts to ruin my user experience. While Apples idea is to improve on it.

So no matter the cost or competition, I'm always only comparing iPhones with iPhones. Although I dislike many things Apple is doing with the iPhone, I am willing to make compromises to avoid contact with MPCS. In Appleworld there are only two possible phone purchases this year. It all comes down to 5C or 5S nothing more. Because I'm a value shopper, I'm buying a white 5C or nothing. And I mean nothing. My main cellphone is still a Nokia from 2006. I'm not rushing to throw my money at Apple. But I'm also not buying anything else since that day.

Your right & I def would never buy a Samsung, in fact I don't buy anything Samsung anymore if I can avoid it, I hate the whole ethos about the company now. But I hate to see Apple turn into some drip feeding money making machine, that to be honest at times shows it really doesn't care about it's customers..Final Cut, Logic, the Mac Pro etc etc, all that got thrown out of the window when the iPhone hit huge profits. I don't blame them but now they are doing the same with the iPhone, if they had kept developing and didn't do this whole "S" model Android wouldn't have the lead they have today..

This whole thing changed when one day I picked up an S3 and compared it to my iPhone 4, I got it straight away, it's obvious to see, and if you'd never heard of either ever before most people would pick the S3 as it simply looks better with a bigger screen.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Your right & I def would never buy a Samsung, in fact I don't buy anything Samsung anymore if I can avoid it, I hate the whole ethos about the company now.
Its much like korean shipbuilding. They build shipyards that large, that no other nation can compete anymore. With huge upfront investments they undercut market prices and attack from the low end. Its all set up to conquer big volumes very fast. Market share before profit share. Than they close the quality gap, till its not worth it to pay a premium for some other product.
But I hate to see Apple turn into some drip feeding money making machine, that to be honest at times shows it really doesn't care about it's customers. Final Cut, Logic, the Mac Pro etc etc, all that got thrown out of the window when the iPhone hit huge profits.
I hear/read that a lot, but I don't believe it. FCPX was a major rewrite to make use of modern hardware. Mac Pro is a major redesign, shifting the heavy work from cpu to gpu. Both together must make a hell of a system.
I don't blame them but now they are doing the same with the iPhone, if they had kept developing and didn't do this whole "S" model Android wouldn't have the lead they have today.
You can't have a major technology breakthrough every year. When the 3GS was manly a speed bump, wasn't it honest to not give it the "4". Than the real 4 came with retina and did wonders for the readability of small text. Compare the 5 with the 4 and tell me they stopped developing. Its lighter and smaller while having a bigger screen and longer battery life. The camera is amazing, new connector, new headphones. The iPhone 4 not even had iMessage and I thought it was a technology marvel back then. Android and Samsung will always lead in volumes, because they are free/cheap. But when it comes to usage, people use their iDevices much more.
This whole thing changed when one day I picked up an S3 and compared it to my iPhone 4, I got it straight away, it's obvious to see, and if you'd never heard of either ever before most people would pick the S3 as it simply looks better with a bigger screen.
Because bigger is better. If you've not heard of the iPhone before, you don't need a smartphone. Everything looks better if bigger, but is it?

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I see no reason for iPod Touch existence anymore once low cost iPhone touch the market.

For the price alone, the iPhone 5C might cost you $300 - $400 if you buy it off contract. That gets you an A6 CPU and anything iPhone 5 has. Most importantly it's a phone, not just "music player", so it does anything an iPod Touch could, and some more.

Not to mention the iPod sales number has been declining significantly YoY. It will be a slow death, maybe .. but it's an inevitable one. Look at the iPod Classic. Fine example of market and sales neglect. Not "dead" but not really "live" either.

The iPod touch is not just a 'music player'. Even with a lower price point, there are still going to be lots of people that cannot afford an iPhone. And not to forget people who want a fully capable i0S device without the phone functionality. Whats the big problem about the iPod touch, its a good device.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Not including the UK.
By the way, thanks for buying german fire trucks. :D

Politics aside. I always liked it better, when hardware and services are treated separately. There is nothing more expensive in the long run, than a monthly service fee artificially inflated with hardware subsidies. Its never good to hide real costs behind foreign costs. The scam always includes, giving you what you want, in combination with giving you what you don't want. Maybe broadband actually is better in the UK, but I would also have to live in the UK. :p

My unlimited data is not on a subsidised contract, I bought my phone unlocked.
So there is no catch for me, now slowing data after a certain amount. I guess that you have never lived in the UK, so that makes your judgement invalid. I have lived in Germany, so am very qualified to judge. :D

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I guess that you have never lived in the UK, so that makes your judgement invalid. I have lived in Germany, so am very qualified to judge. :D
You guessed right. And I also never lived in Somalia, yet I know life is bad down there. Every new piece of information available about the UK looks equally grim.

Sex slave aged 11 'branded with initial of her abuser'

Underage sex slavery, street gangs, teenage pregnancy, alcohol abuse, homicide rate, islamic terrorism, racial riots and fast internet. Not to mention monarchy, deindustrialisation, unemployment, imperialism, currency isolation and the ongoing war with Ireland, your sole neighboring country.

Your homeland has so much more problems than just penalty kicks. I'm sorry for you and I sincerely hope your internet connection gives you the much needed relief your national football team can't deliver. Be happy! :)

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Because bigger is better. If you've not heard of the iPhone before, you don't need a smartphone. Everything looks better if bigger, but is it?

lol well I'm not talking huge, and I do get your point but, it's been the same form factor for years..I held an S3 against my iPhone 4 a few years back & thought wow that looks so much nicer, it's as simple as that...I remember when I used to have a computer with a 13" screen then a 15 then a 17 then a 20 , now dual 24" wide screens, each time I though how on earth did I manage before..but now at 24 it's right, I have tried bigger and don't like it, so it's all about balance, the iPhone screen size now is simply too small, when they bring out a 4.7 next year I guarantee that the majority of purchasers will prefer it.
By keeping the same form factor for year in year out the save a bundle by using a lot of re-used components..I think it was more about getting the OS to accept the increased screen size, but at what cost a huge loss of market share..the worry is Android will will do what PC's did to Mac's..

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
By keeping the same form factor for year in year out the save a bundle by using a lot of re-used components..I think it was more about getting the OS to accept the increased screen size, but at what cost a huge loss of market share..the worry is Android will do what PC's did to Mac's..
The right screen size for a phone is what an average person (including woman) can comfortably hold in one hand and fit in one pocket. The iPhone already has the right size. Much like your preference for 24" desktop screens, a lot of people don't want a bigger phone. Instead they rather want the iPhone 6 to shrink again to iPhone 4 dimensions. The competition between Android and iOS is not about screen sizes.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
The right screen size for a phone is what an average person (including woman) can comfortably hold in one hand and fit in one pocket. The iPhone already has the right size. Much like your preference for 24" desktop screens, a lot of people don't want a bigger phone. Instead they rather want the iPhone 6 to shrink again to iPhone 4 dimensions. The competition between Android and iOS is not about screen sizes.

lol if you don't think screen size is that important then your deluded...I worked all day with two IT guys both having a massive Samsung , a Note I think, even that size seemed fine although a tad large for me..it's all about perspective! For me (and a lot of others) the iPhone screen is now just way too small IMHO..

As an extra note I read several reports from the Apple launch , most of then included questions on why Apple has not increased the phone size, I wonder why they asked...

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
lol if you don't think screen size is that important then your deluded...
Of course its important. Its important not to follow the Android crowd in its race for bigger and bigger screens. Apple needs to define its own rules to success. Only if the iPhone remains something special, different from anything else, Apple will continue to make two-thirds of all profits in the phone market.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Of course its important. Its important not to follow the Android crowd in its race for bigger and bigger screens. Apple needs to define its own rules to success. Only if the iPhone remains something special, different from anything else, Apple will continue to make two-thirds of all profits in the phone market.

As far as the smartphone market, it's almost head and head as of Q2:

Apple: 53%
Samsung: 50%

2013_q2_profit_share.png

So it's more like: only if the iPhone can woo more markets, will Apple continue to make 1/2 of all smartphone profits.

I think their plans for trade-in (and loan where no subsidy exists) programs are pretty smart, btw.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London

Your obviously in advertising because if you believe that BS..
"define it's own Rules to success"
"different from anything else"
"remains something special"

Android isn't racing for bigger screens it just offers them so people have a choice - hence why they sell bucket loads! I want the same from Apple, simple!

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

These new iPhones arguably have more innovations than the iPhone 3G and 3GS did under Jobs. Yet nobody remembers that.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Android isn't racing for bigger screens it just offers them so people have a choice - hence why they sell bucket loads! I want the same from Apple, simple!
Apple is not about choice. Apple is about to reduce choices. They want to create innovations „only Apple can deliver“ so that their customer have no other choice but to buy from Apple for whatever money Apple is asking for.

They don't care about what the customer wants, only what he needs so bad that he would give a arm and a leg for. Everyone has bigger screens, so Apple would gain no advantage from also having bigger screens.

Thats nothing special.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
These new iPhones arguably have more innovations than the iPhone 3G and 3GS did under Jobs. Yet nobody remembers that.
Its not so much that people don't remember, they also fail to see what is happening right before their eyes. In the past a camera update would mean just more megapixels. This time its Burst Mode, Slo-Mo Mode, True Tone. But somehow all this improvement is dismissed as more of the same.

Yes its a camera, again. Its better than last year, again. Same old, same old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.