Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
Hi there,

i have this question or problem.
i'll describe in a few lines what my situation is
I analyse some of my research with a program called 'SPSS', the output i got i save as a htm file. after that i open that 'htm' file with Pages, and i want to import some statistics in another pages file. But everytime i copy information from that htm filed that i opened with pages, to another pages file, i get a beachball, and a really long time, the entire os x slows down and all, and i need to restart it.

Does anyone else has this? is it a problem? or just a bug? and if it's a problem what can i do?

thanx for your comment in advance.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
It shouldn't be a compatibility problem, as the OP's creating an html file which is compatible with Pages, right?

I just tried this on my powerbook, and I don't have the beach ball problem you mentioned.

However, when Pages opens the html file created by SPSS (link for the curious), the table format of the output is completely gone. Instead of a hierarchical table, I have a single centered column of numbers... Not very helpful. Same thing happens when I copy/paste directly from the SPSS output.

Sadly, I've had better luck with Word. It still requires a lot of formatting to get it looking reasonable, but at least it keeps the general table structure.

Exporting as Text file instead of html, looks better, but still not in tables.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
discoforce said:
It shouldn't be a compatibility problem, as the OP's creating an html file which is compatible with Pages, right?

There's html and then there's html. Some of it is very "dirty" and could cause problems imported into other applications. I'm also curious as to whether the exported html file opens in Safari.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
IJ Reilly said:
There's html and then there's html. Some of it is very "dirty" and could cause problems imported into other applications. I'm also curious as to whether the exported html file opens in Safari.

Good point about the html - I've looked at the source code Word creates when you save as html :eek:

My exported html file opens in Safari... reasonably well (better than Pages or Word), but I'm not sure how the OP is creating the html files.

I'm using SPSS 11, the newest version is 13 (they skipped 12 :rolleyes: )

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
well first, thanx for the answers :)

the htm files opens decent in safari. And it opens also pretty decent in pages, but when it's open in pages and i want to copy the table, from the htm document (command c) to an existing open pages document (command v) it goes really really slow,

i don't know what it is actually. it goes reasonably faster in word.
I also have SPSS 11 :)
and i have a mac mini 1.25 ghz, with 512 ram, so i don't think such a task should go that slow,

does this make the issue a bit more clear? maybe it's a silly option i put on or so? but i can't see what?

i can make and drink a coffee in the meantime!!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So, I'm suggesting saving the html file as a Pages document, then reopening it as a Pages document. Not sure if that will help, but I'm guessing it does.

cloud 9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Belgium
IJ Reilly said:
So, I'm suggesting saving the html file as a Pages document, then reopening it as a Pages document. Not sure if that will help, but I'm guessing it does.

great! i'm going to try that in the morning, and i'll give you the results!

Merci beacoup :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.