Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
I'm a user of iGrabNews for downloading off usenet. It downloads at my max internet speed which is 840kb/s average. The problem is though, files are always corrupted and its a crap app.

When I use Unison, its so nice, but my download speeds range from 50kb/s to 150kb/s. Why is the speed so much different. What's going on.. am I the only one to experience this?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Noted said:
I'm a user of iGrabNews for downloading off usenet. It downloads at my max internet speed which is 840kb/s average. The problem is though, files are always corrupted and its a crap app.

When I use Unison, its so nice, but my download speeds range from 50kb/s to 150kb/s. Why is the speed so much different. What's going on.. am I the only one to experience this?
What is the rated speed of your connection? We know that Unison works. That iGrabNews claims to be so much faster is suspicious. It may be that the app does little, if any, error checking. Whatever it is doing or not doing, the current judgment seems to be that it is not a very good app. You may read user reviews on this webpage.

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Haven't had any problems with Unison here. Regularly download at 5MB/s (40Mbps). On my old PowerBook G4, it would have been pretty heavy on the CPU at that speed, but the new iMac Core Duo handles it easily.

Perhaps something else is slowing it down such as lack of RAM, or you need to increase the maximum number of concurrent connections.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
How do you increase the number of connections in Unison? I can only find the "simultaneous number of downloads" setting.

My internet speed is 8MB, and I have a G5 Power Mac so its nothing to do with the RAM.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
How do you increase the number of connections in Unison? I can only find the "simultaneous number of downloads" setting.

My internet speed is 8MB, and I have a G5 Power Mac so its nothing to do with the RAM.

I'm DYING to figure that out myself! My download is waaay slower on my mac's Unison than on NewsLeecher on a PC, and I believe the reason is because I can NOT add the number of connections to the server so it looks like it connects to only one... On a PC's NewsLeecher I can set up to 99 connections, and it ALWAYS maxes out my download speed.

Perhaps, is there a better client that is compatible with Leopard ?

Thanks.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
The simultaneous number of downloads is where you set the number of connections.

I don't know why, but I also started having problems with Unison and speeds. Not only that, large files also timeout and I have to manually restart them. Sometimes it takes dozens of restarts to finish the downloads.

I've given up and gone back to Newsbin Pro on Windows.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I have problems with Unison (latest version) as well, downloads fluctuate and time out a lot ever since I started using Leopard (may be just coincidence). Ram has nothing to do with it, it is painfully slow on my MBP 2gb ram and mac mini CD 2gb ram and I use to download at very fast speeds on the same machine.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I have problems with Unison (latest version) as well, downloads fluctuate and time out a lot ever since I started using Leopard (may be just coincidence). Ram has nothing to do with it, it is painfully slow on my MBP 2gb ram and mac mini CD 2gb ram and I use to download at very fast speeds on the same machine.

I use 1.8 on 10.5.1 and have no problems maxing out my connection with it. Has anything else changed about your computer or internet connection?

MazMan007

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
same problem with unison

I am a new mac user coming from using newsleecher and vista. I would have 20 connections max and would avg 4-500 KB/sec with a max of over 700. Now on unison I barely hit 100 with 10 connectons open. Right now I have 9 files going at a range of 30-50KB/sec

This program is garbage compared to newsleecher. Keeps all the files there, doesn't show time left to finish, cant pause individually.

What could my issues be with the speed. And can't say its my computer its a week old 15" MBP with 4 gigs ram and 2.8ghz cpu.

cutcopypaste

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
yeah.. i'd been using unison and been whatever about it.. but i recently tried grabit on my pc and it is leagues better. things like estimated time left, not to mention auto checking and unraring... pretty obvious things to include.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.