Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Try a different router. iPhone 5 doesn't play well with older routers. If it doesn't solve the problem bring the router back.

Nah it's not just at home, even the university and work network, wifi is still slow.

Besides, I'm not switching a router just for a phone when other devices are working on it fine.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Try a different router. iPhone 5 doesn't play well with older routers. If it doesn't solve the problem bring the router back.

In my case its a brand new router/modem given out by Verizon fios 3 months ago.
Its not the router, every other single device connects, works and stays connected fine.
Its just my i5 having problems.

singleframe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
add me to this crappy list of ******* wi-fi connectivity with the iPhone 5! such PITA. 6.0.1 update did nada. will have to make a trip to the Apple store. And I love when they say "Oh, we haven't heard of this." :confused:

Elefantito

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Iphone 5 @ 6.0.1 with an Asus AC66U (.246 firmware) / 5ghz WPA 2 AES - 40mhz channel.

after a while, all traffic stops. however Wi-Fi Icon is still up there.

MAC OUI is 88:53:95...apple manufactured.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Anyone had experience of getting an iPhone 5 replacement via the Genius bar and the replacement worked just fine with wifi?

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Not the slow problem, but the not connecting probem

I had the WiFi problem today on my two day old iPhone 5. Running iOS 6.0.1 on all my devices. iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPads etc all work on this network fine, but iPhone 5 just wouldn't connect. The network has multiple access points on different channels, and using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands - iPhone 5 wouldn't work on any of the them.

So I did some googling and tried all the various suggestions:
From looking up the MAC address of the WiFi chip in my iPhone 5, it's an Apple one (apparently some people have Intel ones).
Setting a Client ID on the iPhone made no difference.
Setting HTTP Auto Proxy made no difference.
Turning bluetooth on made no difference.
Resettng network settings made no difference.

Then I noticed that it was showing a self assigned 169.254 IP address... so I set the iPhone 5 to use a manually configured Static IP rather than DHCP, but still with the router as the DNS server, and boom it works perfectly. Change back to using DHCP and it won't connect. So it's something up with DHCP on the iPhone 5.

I then updated the firmware on the router and now the iPhone 5's DHCP works perfectly. Of-course you could argue it both ways:

• All other computers, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPads etc work perfectly on this network... so it's the iPhone 5 at fault.
  • The fix was updating the routers firmware, so it was something wrong with its DHCP server.
Odds are the problem was a combination of both at fault!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I then updated the firmware on the router and now the iPhone 5's DHCP works perfectly. Of-course you could argue it both ways:

The fix was updating the routers firmware, so it was something wrong with its DHCP server.

I have updated my router's firmware but to no avail, the problem still persists.
I have updated my router's firmware but to no avail, the problem still persists.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I'm getting a 20th of my wifi speed on iPhone 5 running 6.0.1 while my iPad 2 running 6.0.1 right beside it gets maximum speed on my line.

Based on that it appears this is a hardware issue.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Well, I can confirm that the problem still persists with the iPhone 5 replacement that the Genius provided, this is just wow.. and I thought my issue is resolved. This sucks, might have to visit them again.

Anyone had experience of getting an iPhone 5 replacement via the Genius bar and the replacement worked just fine with wifi?

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
For people with slow speeds, it does not seem to be a hardware issue. Local streaming via NAS plays perfectly with no hiccups..

berniefl36

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
I don't think it's the hardware either,,, it's software but they just haven't released an update to fix it or they are unaware of it,, my wifi is fast but watching http live streaming it buffers every minute of so

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
guys try pressing renew lease, I don't want to read through 5+ pages. All it does is request a new IP to tell your router that you're still connected

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio

I had issues with WIFI on my first iPhone 5.. The earpiece broke and I had a new device shipped to me.

My replacement iPhone hasn't had any issues.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
The wifi issue is def phone related as my sis has the iphone 5 and I still have my Droid X2 and while watching the same video from youtube on our phones, at the same time, hers kept buffering and loading really slow while mine loaded really quickly and never paused to buffer. I thought her phone was defective, but after reading through this thread I see it's not just her phone.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I had issues with WIFI on my first iPhone 5.. The earpiece broke and I had a new device shipped to me.

My replacement iPhone hasn't had any issues.

So yours doesn't actually buffer when you watch YouTube or other live stream on wifi? If you don't mind, does the serial number also start with F1?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I had the WiFi problem today on my two day old iPhone 5. Running iOS 6.0.1 on all my devices. iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPads etc all work on this network fine, but iPhone 5 just wouldn't connect. The network has multiple access points on different channels, and using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands - iPhone 5 wouldn't work on any of the them.

So I did some googling and tried all the various suggestions:
From looking up the MAC address of the WiFi chip in my iPhone 5, it's an Apple one (apparently some people have Intel ones).
Setting a Client ID on the iPhone made no difference.
Setting HTTP Auto Proxy made no difference.
Turning bluetooth on made no difference.
Resettng network settings made no difference.

Then I noticed that it was showing a self assigned 169.254 IP address... so I set the iPhone 5 to use a manually configured Static IP rather than DHCP, but still with the router as the DNS server, and boom it works perfectly. Change back to using DHCP and it won't connect. So it's something up with DHCP on the iPhone 5.

• All other computers, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPads etc work perfectly on this network... so it's the iPhone 5 at fault.
  • The fix was updating the routers firmware, so it was something wrong with its DHCP server.

my iphone 5 would crash my entire home internet when it connected. Had to upgrade router firmware.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
So yours doesn't actually buffer when you watch YouTube or other live stream on wifi? If you don't mind, does the serial number also start with F1?

I haven't seen mine buffer since I've had it (replacement iPhone).. Did you wanna know my WIFI address or serial number, though?

I remember people comparing their WIFI addresses' and linking that to the WIFI issue...

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I haven't seen mine buffer since I've had it (replacement iPhone).. Did you wanna know my WIFI address or serial number, though?

I remember people comparing their WIFI addresses' and linking that to the WIFI issue...

Yeah sure, both works. I got a replacement starting with a serial number F1 but still with an Apple made wifi chip; still having wifi issues.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Yeah sure, both works. I got a replacement starting with a serial number F1 but still with an Apple made wifi chip; still having wifi issues.

My serial number starts with DN and WIFI address of 98:FE.

The faulty iPhone that I swapped had a WIFI address of 54:26... Although, I don't remember what the serial number started with.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
The wifi issue is def phone related as my sis has the iphone 5 and I still have my Droid X2 and while watching the same video from youtube on our phones, at the same time, hers kept buffering and loading really slow while mine loaded really quickly and never paused to buffer. I thought her phone was defective, but after reading through this thread I see it's not just her phone.

Blame google. The new YouTube app made by google for iPhone sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.