Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
My wife and I each have AirPods and are logged into Apple TV as different users. However, it is not possible to add my wife's AirPods. Does this not work because the Apple TV is actually paired with my Apple ID, no matter how many users I add? That would be a major limitation in the first place. Easy pairing is a huge advantage of the headphones, after all. Am I doing something wrong?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
My wife and I each have AirPods and are logged into Apple TV as different users. However, it is not possible to add my wife's AirPods. Does this not work because the Apple TV is actually paired with my Apple ID, no matter how many users I add? That would be a major limitation in the first place. Easy pairing is a huge advantage of the headphones, after all. Am I doing something wrong?
do you mean like audio sharing on the Apple TV? Heck, I will have to play around with this now.

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
Do you share a store ID with your wife?

do you mean like audio sharing on the Apple TV? Heck, I will have to play around with this now.

I'll start again from the beginning.
I bought an AppleTV and logged in to it with my Apple ID. Because I also have an iPhone, AppleTV recognised my Airpods immediately. Now I've added my wife as a second user, but her own Airpods don't appear there. So I can't get any further.

This page somehow didn't help me either:

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
AirPods are linked to your Apple ID. So if your wife is not signed in with her Apple ID they won’t show. Now you should be able to share the audio, as outlined in the Apple discussion you posted.

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
AirPods are linked to your Apple ID. So if your wife is not signed in with her Apple ID they won’t show. Now you should be able to share the audio, as outlined in the Apple discussion you posted.
Yes, of course I had her logged into AppleTV as a second user with her own Apple ID. But the Airpods just don't appear. They work perfectly with her own iPhone and Macbook.

Reactions: Hakiroto

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
After you hold down the TV button and click the audio source button, do you even see her AirPods show up in the list of audio devices?

It doesn’t matter that you are signed into the ATV under your ID. She should be able to use her AirPods with her ID. My wife and I are in the same situation and we listen with our AirPods all the time so as not to disturb our children.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
AirPods can be paired to multiple accounts. Mine and my girlfriend's are paired to each other's devices. You shouldn't have to add your wife as a second user to the Apple TV, just pair her AirPods to your account and you'll be able to do it.

JoJoroc

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2022
I'm having this same issue. Anyone find a work around that does not include adding my Wife's AirPods to my Apple ID (mostly because it's annoying when she starts up her AirPods and steals my audio).

I'll start again from the beginning.
I bought an AppleTV and logged in to it with my Apple ID. Because I also have an iPhone, AppleTV recognised my Airpods immediately. Now I've added my wife as a second user, but her own Airpods don't appear there. So I can't get any further.

This page somehow didn't help me either:

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I'm having this same issue. Anyone find a work around that does not include adding my Wife's AirPods to my Apple ID (mostly because it's annoying when she starts up her AirPods and steals my audio).
You can set your AirPods to not automatically join (under the (i) in bluetooth settings) when they are connected. Which you will need to do anyway once you have multiple sets of AirPods connecting to a device.

JoJoroc

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2022
You can set your AirPods to not automatically join (under the (i) in bluetooth settings) when they are connected. Which you will need to do anyway once you have multiple sets of AirPods connecting to a device.
Best idea I’ve come across yet! Thank you.

Egk

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
AirPods can be paired to multiple accounts. Mine and my girlfriend's are paired to each other's devices. You shouldn't have to add your wife as a second user to the Apple TV, just pair her AirPods to your account and you'll be able to do it.
Do you mean iCloud separate accounts?

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Do you mean iCloud separate accounts?
Er, yes, as far as I can remember, that’s what I meant. My girlfriend and I both own AirPods, and both sets are paired to both of our accounts. Means the AppleTV picks up both sets of AirPods without adding a secondary user.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Did you ever figure out if this is even possible? My wife and I are in the same situation. I added her as a second user to the Apple TV, with her own Apple ID, but her AirPods just don't show up. With her MacBook and iPhone, they work as expected, but I'm yet to ever see them show up on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.