Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Xapplematic

No kidding, once you go to a real processor & real storage IT ISN"T A PDA ANYMORE!!!!

In answer to earlier criticism: PDA's are a waste of plastic. The value for money isn't there the way it is for laptops. Lets say "Meta Tablet" to describe the new device as PDA just isn't accurate.

Oh, and all that other crap you want in a PDA would kinda screw it for heat too so don't get all self riteous when you're smoking just as much Crack as the rest of us if not more. Not to mention of course yer talkin a 3000.00 PDA once you add all that crap.:p

It bugs me when folks get all egotistical when reality never enters their minds.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
actually, all this stuff is reasonable...
i took some time once and did everything short of figuring out how to incorporate a touch screen in a TiPod...
i have a 20 GB HD, 1 GHz IBM G3, and a small portable dvd screen (6.7"), and it had basicaly a treo keyboard, and a firewire port and headphone jack...it worked for a while, it had a 720x480 screen, which actually could do alot! but then i tried using a better heatsink and power supply and it has sence, well, melted....so, it is possible...with some creative enginering (damn logic boards! but yay for the iBook, it helped!)....now if i could just remake the schimatics it mgiht be nice....

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
iPod

I personally think Apple is gonna make a PDA.......in the form of the iPod. all they need is a slightly larger screen (shrink down the controls a bit, and maybe make it a centimeter or two taller), and let you access the PDA part of the iPod through the menu or a button. simple as that.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
I agree, it will be part of the iPod, even if iPod changes the box a bit.

iPod will contain:
iTunes
iPhoto (also able to download from dig cam)
PDA functions
QT6 related stuff for video and audio files
portability for files

moyashi

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2002
palm bought BeOS didn't they ? so why would they need OSX?

palm was started by apple employees wasnt it? and then after palm got their desktop data-planner app from apple.

iWalk ... iPod .... hmmm .... iMac ... Cube <<< apple like's to cannabalize it's own products.

PDA / iMode (cell phone) / iPod <<< device is my bet.

if apple could take a pda and make it into a clie then whoopie no big deal but if they turn that device into a protable wireless mini computer then cool we got what Jobs is looking at I bet .... airport networks every where. BUT if Jobs wants to be king ... although Ericsson might have fits ..... takes said device and turn it into a real cell phone then we might have a challenger to the iMode phones.

iMode phones rule ... no if's and's or but's ... just plain and simple with the latest batch working off streaming video Ericsson is gonna hurt big time since their Nokia line up has really shown it's face within the last 2.5 years. hehe they were almost at the top for a while in Japan.

So ... beating around the bush has ended.

Apple is following SONY's lead (forget the M$ rivalry ... this is not where Apple is going anymore folks).

my iMode is already dated ... streaming is here ... I can watch video streams if I want (buy-in price is like $300 though) IF Apple is smart they'll make the next generation iMode before DoCoMo does and try to steal the cellular phone market from the Japanese manufacturers.

cell phone market is like on an average of $150 per household a month. with high school students getting a new phone every year ... imagine the revenue from Japan alone!

screw desktops/notebooks/iPods .... mini phone computers are gonna be the way of the future.

if Apple/Ericsson/IBM/SONY could tie up and bring an iMode standard to the rest of the world .... I'D BE SO HAPPY :D actually not ... I enjoy all you folks looking at black and red screens ;) while I'm looking at 64,000+ colors !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.