Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Why? Pandora fits my needs far better than Apple Music, and Spotify. I really like how Pandora works, and most of the music it gives me. Why should I switch?

Rdio's monthly subscription is less than pandoras except it gives you no commercials and unlimited skips and you can download songs that you like.

I also don't understand why people still use Pandora, at least the paid version.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
shocked? SHOCKED?

are you also shocked people still use Google Maps? Microsoft Office? Flipboard?

Some of us look for 'best of breed', not whatever Apple shoves down our throats

I'm not sure why you took my sentiment to mean I'm an Apple purist. As an exclusive Google Maps, Spotify, and MS Office user, I understand what 'best of breed' means.

As Pandora only offers radio vs. the services that offer both radio and on-demand listening, it appeared that Pandora was a bit behind in the times. Doing one thing well is only going to get you so far. Rdio and Pandora seems like a good combination so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Before I used Spotify and now Apple Music, Rdio was the first on demand subscription that I had. I was unaware they were in financial trouble. Although I don't use Pandora presently, I'm curious to see how they incorporate Rdio into their current platform.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I'm not sure why you took my sentiment to mean I'm an Apple purist. As an exclusive Google Maps, Spotify, and MS Office user, I understand what 'best of breed' means.

As Pandora only offers radio vs. the services that offer both radio and on-demand listening, it appeared that Pandora was a bit behind in the times. Doing one thing well is only going to get you so far. Rdio and Pandora seems like a good combination so I'm excited to see what they have in store.
Ha. Sorry, it's the 'shocked' part I guess that made me think that :)

I kind of agree with you about Pandora, it seems typical that when you're the first (and best) to do something you fall into a phase of being too big and too slow. That was evident with Apple iPhone 5 for example, which saw Apple unable to be very liberal with the size since they were hung on fixed pixels, they finally figured it out with the 6.

I am hoping Pandora becomes even better with this new purchase

Reactions: Dydegu

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Which service has anyone jumped ship too....

Apple Music was always my second choice. It costs the same, and the integration is pretty sweet. For instance, I can tell Siri to play whatever I want hands free from the headphone mic. I can also ask her what song is playing and she'll tell me, which isn't available with other services. Really, the only beef I have is how awful the interface is, and how I can never tell what the heck the difference is between my stuff, apple's stuff, and the iTunes in the cloud stuff.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Rdio's monthly subscription is less than pandoras except it gives you no commercials and unlimited skips and you can download songs that you like.

I also don't understand why people still use Pandora, at least the paid version.
$4/month isn't enough to make me shop around. PandoraOne has no commercials, and all the skips I've ever needed. When I find a track I just cannot live without, I'll go to Amazon, and pay the $0.99 for the MP3. <shrug>

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
$4/month isn't enough to make me shop around. PandoraOne has no commercials, and all the skips I've ever needed. When I find a track I just cannot live without, I'll go to Amazon, and pay the $0.99 for the MP3. <shrug>
Isn't pandoraone $8 a month?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
That is a much different experience than dialing up albums from a library with 30 millions songs. Pandora is fine for what it is, but it is very limited in comparison to Rdio or the other music services...which is probably why the bought Rdio.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
PandoraOne is indeed $4 per month. For letting it do it's thing all day long, I do like the music stations I listen to. Sure, there are repeats. I even get tired of some songs and down vote them off my stations. I've tried Spotify, lastFM and a couple of other programs - all required me to make lists of songs. As much as I love music, I don't have the desire to create very refined selections.

That's why I continue to support PandoraOne. I do use iTunes radio on occasion - the free commercial laden version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.