Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two of the biggest Apple Music competitors and most notable names in the streaming music industry are joining forces, with Pandora today announcing its $75 million acquisition of "key assets" from Rdio.

According to a press release on the acquisition, Pandora has gained unspecified "technology and intellectual property," and a number of Rdio's employees will be given roles at Pandora. Pandora plans to use Rdio's assets to "offer fans greater control over the music they love," with an expanded Pandora listening experience set to launch in late 2016, depending on licensing. Pandora wants to become the "go-to destination" for wherever and however its fans want to listen to music.

pandoraacquiresrdio.jpg
"The Rdio team built an acclaimed product and technology platform that has consistently led innovation in the young streaming industry. I'm pleased that many members of the Rdio team will continue to shape the future of streaming music, applying our tradition of great design and innovative engineering on an even larger stage with Pandora," said Anthony Bay, chief executive officer of Rdio.
Pandora has more than 80 million users and continues to be one of the most popular streaming music services. Pandora offers its users the ability to listen to free, ad-supported radio stations centered around particular artists or songs rather than offering on-demand listening like Apple Music.

Rdio offered a similar ad-supported free listening tier, but it also included Rdio Unlimited, a service that let users listen to any song on demand as is possible with Spotify and Apple Music. With its acquisition of Rdio's assets, Pandora may be angling to expand into the on-demand market to better compete with other streaming services.

The acquisition hinges on Rdio obtaining permission for the transaction from the United States Bankruptcy Court. With approval, Rdio will wind down its Rdio-branded operations in all markets as Pandora is only acquiring assets and not the Rdio brand.

Article Link: Pandora Acquires 'Key Assets' and Employees From Rdio for $75 Million

Reactions: arn

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Pandora isn't available here in the United Kingdom but I've used Rdio in the past (before my carrier plan came with Spotify Premium included in the line rental) and I did like the app.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Pandora is OK. When will Apple's Music app leave the alpha stage? Just seem ridiculous to pay to use alpha code.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Good on Pandora. The "grandfather" of algorithmic streaming services needs to expand and compete. As much as I enjoy Apple Music, I still find Pandora hard to beat on a) ease-of-use, and b) track-to-track flow... i.e. if I create a mellow-sounding station for evening jazz in Pandora, it respects that very well with similar sounding tracks, thanks to the Music Genome Project. I just wish Pandora had as deep a catalog as the other services.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Apple entering the business left basically no oxygen for those services. They've never been profitable, just burning venture capital, now they're deep in the red with no hope to ever be profitable.

This is only the first casualty of a long, painful death path.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyasjs

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Hopefully Pandora will add some tools their toolbox.

I subscribe because it is very low cost, and I find new music all the time that I love.

I don't have much want or need to have a specific song on demand. At least not enough to pay for a premium service that provides it, such as Spotify.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Makes sense. I'm still shocked people use Pandora. Hopefully this will make Apple and Spotify up their game even more.

Pandora remains my favorite streaming service. I find their algorithms to be most to my liking.

I am a subscriber to Apple Music and Google Play Music, but still prefer Pandora for radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.