Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
What about atv? Stuck on 5.3 (iOS 6) for a year now or so. Atv3 still hasn't been hacked strangely.

That is strange.

I bet once/if they open it up to third party apps, an atv3 (or 4?) jailbreak would become a lot more likely, since Apple would have to open up the device a bit (after all, this particular jailbreak was due to loading an enterprise certificate, of which there's no way or need to do currently on an Apple TV).

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Is there aomething to complain and waste time typing about now?

I don't know, is there?

You came to this thread, about something that apparently has no interest to you, to complain about this story's existence, stating that you have no idea why jailbreaking happens, then immediately negating your own opinion by saying you have never done it.

I responded to your implied question.

If I'm at a bar, and I overhear a conversation about motorcycles, I don't walk over and go "I don't know why anyone would ride a motorcycle, it seems unsafe! But I've never ridden one." then complain when they actually reply. If you don't want a reply, then don't post. If you don't want to read about jailbreaking, then skip the stories on it.

Like it or not, to many iOS device users, a new jailbreak is news, thus it is worthy to report on on a website dedicated to news about Apple devices.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
What about it isn't right? Did you not purchase your device? Did you not pay for it? Why exactly is it "not right" for someone to have full access to something that they own?

The equivalent is that you buy a house, and the seller says "Look, I know you bought this house. But these two rooms are off limits. Im locking them up tight."

Totally NOT equivalent. I like the car analogy better, but still not same. The car analogy is that you buy a BMW that runs on gasoline, but you want to hack it to run on moonshine. Although you might be able to get the hack to work, it totally ruins the warranty and causes long term damage to the engine.

To other guy has a valid and reasonable opinion, IMO, on whether this is mainstream news.

IMO, everything the mainstream ends up wanting from iPhones, Apple ends up providing. Thinking about every policy change from DRM-less music through replacement soft-keyboards, so the need for jailbreaking is less needful for four standard deviations of users (< 0.1%). I still want jailbreaking, because its a great 'beta-test' environment, or incubator, for some cool stuff, but only to a select group of people who are technical skills to know WTF they are doing.

----------

I bought an app that enables the built in hotspot functionality while being on att unlimited data.

I just upgraded my plan to the one below unlimited data and the hotspot was free and enabled, no app needed. You might not need that App anymore...

bubbyboy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
New Orleans
I don't know, is there?

You came to this thread, about something that apparently has no interest to you, to complain about this story's existence, stating that you have no idea why jailbreaking happens, then immediately negating your own opinion by saying you have never done it.

If I'm at a bar, and I overhear a conversation about motorcycles, I don't walk over and go "I don't know why anyone would ride a motorcycle, it seems unsafe! But I've never ridden one." then complain when they actually reply. If you don't want a reply, then don't post. If you don't want to read about jailbreaking, then skip the stories on it.

Like it or not, to many iOS device users, a new jailbreak is news, thus it is worthy to report on on a website dedicated to news about Apple devices.

Well said...

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Think before you write such wrong things.

Think before you attempt to justify having your hands tied with something you own.

If you want to sit in the walled garden and just accept that you don't have full ownership of your device, go for it. I prefer to be in control of my devices, which I've paid for.

Your reference to the "main chip" of a car is a foolish one. Something like that is not recommended by the manufacturer, and yes, may even void your warranty with said manufacturer (if you even still have such - but talking about car warranties is an entirely different can of worms).
That said? You aren't prohibited. They can't STOP YOU. If you have the tools and knowledge, you can do whatever you want without them having recourse. You know why? Because you OWN the vehicle.

If you want to preach about how it's better to be limited, go for it. I prefer having freedom to do what I want when I spend hundreds of dollars on a device.

:rolleyes:

----------

Totally NOT equivalent. I like the car analogy better, but still not same. The car analogy is that you buy a BMW that runs on gasoline, but you want to hack it to run on moonshine. Although you might be able to get the hack to work, it totally ruins the warranty and causes long term damage to the engine.

I'd love to see some evidence that shows that jailbreaking is as harmful to a device as running a luxury vehicle on moonshine is.

In fact, I'd love any evidence whatsoever that shows that jailbreaking is in any way harmful.

:rolleyes:

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since 2010. Can anyone give me a few reasons to do so now?

Have decent amount of icons on iPad?
Properly sized folders?
Flux?
To show the middle finger to people which don't allow you to use your hardware the way you want to use it?

Everyone has own reasons, but if you don't have a reason then you will be better without jailbreak.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

Jailbreaking has every right to be here especially given the amount of crap rumor articles we see. I would take that over any dumb iWatch rumor that we get bombarded with or another pic of a so called iPhone 6 dummy unit.
My issue with jailbreaking is not the jailbreak itself but the way Apple locks it down relentlessly. And the last time I jailbroke a iDevice it was not worth it because there's not a whole lot going on. Sure you have some popular tweaks but it's no where near what Android has. Even the once renowned Apple hacker geohot is cracking Android devices with a one click method.
If I was to own another iDevice for myself I would not buy it for jailbreaking. I still consider it to be dead. Apple will lock up any loopholes in iOS 8 and the entire purpose for owning a iDevice is for the latest and greatest software.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Have decent amount of icons on iPad?
Properly sized folders?
Flux?
To show the middle finger to people which don't allow you to use your hardware the way you want to use it?

Everyone has own reasons, but if you don't have a reason then you will be better without jailbreak.

I'm all for jailbreaking but the examples you provided are weak. That's the state of jailbreaking on iOS devices. It's dead because developers know that Apple is relentless and will just tie up the loophole or incorporate the jailbreak in the next version.

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
I'm all for jailbreaking but the examples you provided are weak. That's the state of jailbreaking on iOS devices. It's dead because developers know that Apple is relentless and will just tie up the loophole or incorporate the jailbreak in the next version.

Well, nobody forcing you to jailbreak ;)
Any of above reasons is enough for me to jailbreak (especially the last one).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Then don't jb then? Nobody is forcing you. If you don't like things like bitesms, activator, springtomize, f lux so be it.

----------

I agree, although there used to be a few things that made it worth jailbreaking. Now I can't imagine what else I could want besides the new features in 8.

I'm not bound to any hotspot restrictions and my phone is factory unlocked, so two more reasons I no longer need a jailbreak :/ Is the community dying?

Then don't jb?

Some people still want their unlimited data. Being able to hotspot is a great value.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since 2010. Can anyone give me a few reasons to do so now?

I'll list my main reasons:

- User Agent Switcher for making sites think I'm using a PC so they don't harass me about their app or stick every ad at the bottom of the screen until I accidentally click one or give me a broken mobile site
- iOS 6 theme for icons, Dock, and sounds; yes, including the beloved charging sound
- iFile (free trial) for editing filesystem
- Terminal
- OpenSSH
- Root filesystem access in DiskAid
- Security fixes provided by Cydia before Apple provides them :D
- iTunes Radio unlimited skips and no ads because I don't care about the "all new Nissan Rogue" and don't want to hear 2 of the same song in a row

The funny thing is that I never cared about those tweaks that gave you folders, keyboards, and other iOS 6-8 features back in 2010 because they were always so poorly made and/or invasive.

----------

I guarantee you that Apple will provide nothing I listed except for security fixes.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Stupid me :eek:, I tried 3-4 times without success, then I realized I was jailbreaking my iPhone on WIFI even though it was directly connected to my Mac Mini, so check if your WIFI is on (On iPhone) if you get the same problem.

On iOS 7.1.2, works like a charm.:D

Jmoss4949

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
California
7.1.1 Jailbreak

While my phone was on 7.0.4 I had the evasi0n jailbreak. After the 7.1.1 JB was released I saw a site that I'm not sure I've seen before.

There seems to be an evad3rs.net is this different from the original evasi0n.com? Should I be weary trying to download the jailbreak from evad3rs.net? It seems they may just be using that domain to give out the new pangu JB. Any thoughts?

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
While my phone was on 7.0.4 I had the evasi0n jailbreak. After the 7.1.1 JB was released I saw a site that I'm not sure I've seen before.

There seems to be an evad3rs.net is this different from the original evasi0n.com? Should I be weary trying to download the jailbreak from evad3rs.net? It seems they may just be using that domain to give out the new pangu JB. Any thoughts?
evad3rs.net is totally fake and will not do anything.

enocheed

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Jailbreaking is useless!...Say Whaaat?

You got to realize that this is a troll payed by apple to deter news even posted of such doings as jailbreak. Apple would love to have you locked down for ever. Apple politics we tie you down and force feed you till you are so fat that you don't even desire to move. That is the mentality. Fat people lazy to fight back. Hahahaha. Do they have it wrong!

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

Not sure why you are so against this topic. It is legal. The US Government has said so. It involves iphone. It allows people to get software not on the apple ecosystem. It doesn't hurt you if you choose not to do it. And as a topic, it is no more 'odd' than, say, an article about the MS Surface.

H3PullUOut

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Groton, CT
Also depends on why you're jailbreaking. If for downloading pirated apps, that's a different story.

That could go along with the house analogy, are you buying a house to open a meth lab, that's a different story, right?. Same freedom should apply.. Buy the phone with full access: you download and use pirated apps, you pay the price for piracy if caught. You buy a house with full access, you start making and selling crack out from the house you go to jail for illegal drugs..

This is America, when you pay for something it is yours.. If you choose to do illegal things with said something (and get caught) you have to accept the punishment.

Just my .02!

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Not sure if it's been said because I'm not reading through 50 responses to look. But in your article you say evasion is good for 7.0-7.0.4. Evasion jailbreaks through 7.0.6. And it has been confirmed on twitter that pangu jailbreaks 7.1.2 as expected.

Some small things for you to fix :)

9to5mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014

I completely agree, this sort of stuff should just be on a separate Jailbreak forum or just on here at all. I tried Jailbreaking and to me it seems like it degrades Apple products.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I don't know, is there?

I never had a question to begin with, I said it once and I will say it again, it is my OPINION. If you don't like my opinion, don't bother replying to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.