Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
looks like im staying stock. that's a huge privacy killer. i don't have anything to hide on there but i will not let pangu access my photos. nope. should have stayed on 8.4. regretting this a lot already

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
when you launch the pangu app while jailbreaking, if you read the text on screen, it asks to allow access to photos... kinda creepy. not worth it in my opinion.

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
looks like im staying stock. that's a huge privacy killer. i don't have anything to hide on there but i will not let pangu access my photos. nope. should have stayed on 8.4. regretting this a lot already
It needs access to the phone's DCIM folder (which it can't touch as an app sandboxed without your permission) to be able to write some data for a privilege escalation bug.
You can check Settings>privacy>photos once the jailbreak process is completed. This will show you it's gone afterwards.

joshxkerrigan

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
why are you freaking out? its part of the jailbreak, its one of the vulnerabilities that pangu was able to take advantage of, it never looks at your photos, it just asks for permission so that it can get in through an iOS backdoor.

stop crying and go jailbreak, or dont, but dont go crying about it

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I set up as new so didn't have any photos during jailbreak process but checked after jailbreak and still had pangu with access to photos.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 699

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are things that are necessary to jailbreak. Those things require certain other things of the user.

If trust is an issue with you, and it sounds as if it is, then you may wish to reconsider jailbreaking, because jailbreaking relies on a certain amount of trust within the community.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

How's it a privacy killer when your phone is in Airplane mode when it requests permission for photos?

Reactions: 0928001

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
So Pangu needed access to my photos to jailbreak. Okay. After jailbreaking, I went into Photos settings and turned off Pangu access.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Stop freaking out, nobody is going to steal your nude selfies:D
Access is needed for the JB exploits that's all.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
well, just as i was going to try again, my windows 10 beta ran out. i hope vista works. thats the only other windows version i have...

Win10 is out of beta, why don't you just install it over Vista? It's free and you have a month to roll back.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I apologize if this is a dumb question: Does changing the openSSH password and then uninstalling remove most of the risk involved with jailbreaking iOS. Also only installing from the standard repos. Are there other ways to implement security yourself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I apologize if this is a dumb question: Does changing the openSSH password and then uninstalling remove most of the risk involved with jailbreaking iOS. Also only installing from the standard repos. Are there other ways to implement security yourself.
You don't need to change the passwords if you don't install OpenSSH. Removing OpenSSH removes any necessity to change the password. In both cases, because OpenSSH is not installed there is no route to the device. Because there is no route to the device it's not possible to hack via OpenSSH (because OpenSSH is not present).

As far as other security features: iCaughtU Pro, PLS Recovery are two I can name off the top of my head. Activator, used to disable a long press of the hold button on the lockscreen (so the phone can't be shut off) works too. There's also a tweak that lets you set a passcode/password to open apps.

I'm not sure if any of those work on iOS 9 yet however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.