Panic at the Macbook!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spario, May 22, 2006.

1. Spario macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've been having a problem with my new MB. From day one when i open my MB from sleep it gets a kernel panic. It doesn't happen everytime, though, it has happened about 17 times (I've been looking back in the syslog).
    Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know a fix or what may be the cause of the issue?
    Thanks to all who comment.

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I got a dual Powermac G5 and out of the box it had a Kernel panic, I called after like 5 days with Aplcare on the phone they finally called it a dead on arrival and they sent me a new one. Hopefully yours will be ok but I wouldn't live with it, just take it in to Apple and hope that the problem happens again.

3. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

Have a black 2.0, 512 ram. I had one kp so far, but i told the computer to shut down, and then closed the lid "too early" apparently. i opened it back up, and the backlight was off on the lcd, so i shined some light on/into it and sure enough it was the kernal panic screen saying you must restart your computer now. I haven't seen it since, and I've had this for about 16, 18 hours now. No other issues or problems, and I have xp installed on a 14 gig partition.

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yeah, take it to Apple; you could probably get it replaced as DOA.

Say, is this thread's title a reference to Panic! at the Disco, perchance? ;)

5. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Apple could have put some bad RAM in the computer if it's an irregular panic.

6. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I know this doesn't help at all but I love the title of this thread. LOL. :D

7. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

This began out of the box. Then, I replaced the RAM with paired 1GB and it continues to happen.
    I also have done several hardware tests.
    Thanks for the Help. I'm taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow and keep
    everyone in the loop of what happeneds.

8. Spario thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

The Problem was caused by a widget. After removing it no more panics.
    Thanks to all who posted.

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Well...aren't you going to tell us what widget was the problem?

10. AlexanderOnline macrumors member

I have the same problem. So mayby you can help me if you can tell me what widget it was.
    I will reset my PMU to, mayby that will help.

11. imacintel macrumors 68000

I already checked. Sorry no white text. ;)

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Heh, I'm amused at how we often think the worst when it's often something simple (myself included--see above). :p

13. commonpeople macrumors regular

A widget on your Dashboard could be killing your Macbook in a matter of hours. We'll tell you which widget on the news at nine after the weather....

14. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Wow man, every time I hear stories like this it makes me scratch my head. I have had my Powerbook for about 2 and a half years running various flavors of OS 10.3 and I am almost certain that I haven't ever had a single kernel panic, not even once. Are OS X kernel panics as rare as I always thought, with only a few ultra super mega rare kernel panic causing problems that 1 in a million people are encountering? Or am I just lucky?

15. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

16. AlexanderOnline macrumors member

Mayby it is the minibatterystatus widget! someone with the same problem said that it was caused by that widget. I still have the problem and working now 5 days on a second user account, to see if its a software problem, and i didn't have panics on that account. on my account, i use the minibatterystatus widget..
    I also read a topic on Apple discussions of someone with the same problem (also with that widget installed), and on a new user account he doesn't have the problem at all.

17. AlexanderOnline macrumors member

I sent a mail to the topicstarter, and he confirmed it was caused by the minibatterystatus widget!

18. stunna macrumors member

Thats exactly what I was thinking.