Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
So couldn't find a dedicated thread for posting stitched photos so here we go. This shot of the Vermillion Cliffs east of Lee's Ferry. It was stitched in Affinity with some final editing and major size reduction in my antique version of PhotoShop Elements. Total of 11 images stitched, hand held. Shot with an Olympus Tough 3000 waterproof camera.

Note: If you right or control click to view image you can zoom in to full size and use the slider to navigate.

VCPan4.jpg

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Very good idea. I didn’t see one in the past. Let’s see what the talent pool has to share.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
So couldn't find a dedicated thread for posting stitched photos so here we go. This shot of the Vermillion Cliffs east of Lee's Ferry. It was stitched in Affinity with some final editing and major size reduction in my antique version of PhotoShop Elements. Total of 11 images stitched, hand held. Shot with an Olympus Tough 3000 waterproof camera.

Note: If you right or control click to view image you can zoom in to full size and use the slider to navigate.

View attachment 1747168
the Image looks great on my Dell XPS- edge, i cant tell were the stitching is, nice photo!

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
This is probably my most ambitious panorama, and I think the first I ever did. At the time I did not know I was supposed to shoot in portrait mode, so it came out at a really weird ratio. Still, I was really pleased with it, I think it's about 180* of view. I think I've shared it here before. This is from the Tantalus Lookout Puu Ualakaa State Park in Oahu. I used an external editor to stitch it together from LR files but I don't recall which one. I do them in PS now.

FB_November_09_2010_001.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
the Image looks great on my Dell XPS- edge, i cant tell were the stitching is, nice photo!
Thanks looks great at full size as well. This was only my second time using Affinity, zero controls but it does put it all together nicely. Previously I did them by hand in PhotoShop Elements and cannot claim to have done any better though it did take a lot longer.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Glad to see others posting, should not need to say this but as always please only post your own images.

I can remember attempting to do film panoramas in the dark room or by pasting them together and copying. Very tedious and the results fell way short of what I can do with a simple point and shoot in the digital world.

BTW Molly, as long as the lens has little barrel distortion and you allow generous overlap no reason not do them in landscape mode.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Glad to see others posting, should not need to say this but as always please only post your own images.

I can remember attempting to do film panoramas in the dark room or by pasting them together and copying. Very tedious and the results fell way short of what I can do with a simple point and shoot in the digital world.

BTW Molly, as long as the lens has little barrel distortion and you allow generous overlap no reason not do them in landscape mode.
Well if I'd shot the base images vertically it wouldn't be nearly so long. I'd have more detail and it would have more vertical height in the final image. But it's okay. ?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Lac Leman (Lake Geneva), Switzerland. Taken near Lausanne with Evian, FR on the opposite shore.

For those interested in panoramic, yes can create with a single shot in landscape orientation and sever cropping. Another way without special equipment, are multiple shots in portrait orientation with about a 20% overlap for stitching. (I find a place in the viewfinder and bring the left edge over to it for the next shot). Without a tripod and special pano head adjusted for constant Nadir point to control parallax, handhold preference over regular tripod and try to keep a constant Nadir point (think drop weighted string from camera centerpoint and rotate around that while keeping the plane level). For stitching, both Photoshop and Lightroom will stitch, and unfortunately, also crop. I personally use PT Gui where doesn't crop...then take into Photoshop to crop/fill. In the event I get the dreaded "too few control points" message with any og the three programs use the free/open source Hugin that usually will work. Most panos are for real estate tours and vacant homes with blank walls are a nighmare to stitch!

Looks like I may need to work on this one. I usually work on exposure consistency between frames, tonality, white balance...but never perspective adjustments...in Lightroom the export with original file name to jpg. It seems off on this photo and need to reduce some of the haze. This was really an unplanned pano as had family outing along the shore by the university.

Lake Geneva 1 - 5000px.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.