Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nancyboy 2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Hi! As I'm sure this has been discussed before and I just can't find it, can someone direct me to some instructions on how to set up my eMac as an AirPort Extreme Software Base Station so I can file share between the eMac and my PowerBook without actually having to drop $250 on a base station? Thanks!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
To share an internet connection (from Apple Help):

Sharing your Internet connection

If your computer is connected to the Internet, you can share its connection with other computers on your local network.

For example, if your computer is connected to the Internet using a DSL modem and has an AirPort Card installed, you can share the DSL connection with other AirPort-equipped computers.

Open System Preferences, click Sharing, and then click Internet.
Choose a network port from the "Share your connection from" pop-up menu.
Select "Built-in Ethernet" or AirPort depending on which computers will share your Internet connection.

IMPORTANT: If your Internet connection and your local network use the same port (built-in Ethernet, for example), investigate possible side effects before you turn on Internet sharing. In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers, and your ISP might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting their network.

To share files (from Apple Help)

Sharing your documents

There are several ways to share your documents with other people:

To share a document with people who use your computer, copy it to your Public folder (in your home folder) or the Shared folder (in the Users folder on your hard disk).
To share your Public folder with other Macintosh computers on your network, turn on Personal File Sharing in Sharing preferences.
To give someone a copy of a document, put it in the Drop Box folder in their Public folder.
To share a document with other Macintosh users on the Internet, copy it to the Public folder on your iDisk.
To share files with someone using a Windows computer, open System Preferences, click Sharing, and then select Windows Sharing.
To share your iDisk Public folder with anyone on the Internet, use HomePage to publish a file sharing webpage.

You can search apple help to learn how to share printers and other things, too.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
To share files (from Apple Help)

quote:
Sharing your documents

There are several ways to share your documents with other people:

To share a document with people who use your computer, copy it to your Public folder (in your home folder) or the Shared folder (in the Users folder on your hard disk).
To share your Public folder with other Macintosh computers on your network, turn on Personal File Sharing in Sharing preferences.
To give someone a copy of a document, put it in the Drop Box folder in their Public folder.
To share a document with other Macintosh users on the Internet, copy it to the Public folder on your iDisk.
To share files with someone using a Windows computer, open System Preferences, click Sharing, and then select Windows Sharing.
To share your iDisk Public folder with anyone on the Internet, use HomePage to publish a file sharing webpage.

Don't forget that in order for this to work you can create a wireless network by selecting "Create Network" from the Airport tab in the Menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.