Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
I've noticed a couple things/problems that seem to have popped up in X11. When I enter the command printenv DISPLAY, I should get a response from the terminal. Instead, I get nothing but a new prompt. That shouldn't happen. The response should be something like 0,1 , or some such. Also, when I enter the command diskutil repairPermissions/ , I get what appears to be a canned response/ explanation of the command and what it is/does, but the command itself does not run. There may be other issues, but these are 2 that I've noticed.
I recently ran fink selfupdate, and then fink update-all. many hours later, upon it's completion, I seemed to have a # of problems, but they largely resolved themselves after some fooling around (which I shouldn't indulge in, I don't really know what I'm doing), except for these two. Can anyone help me or explain what's going on? thanks

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
If your using the default shell (bash) then
add this line to your ~/.bash_profile:

export=DISPLAY :0.0

If you have switched back to tcsh then
add this line to your ~/.tcshrc:

setenv DISPLAY :0.0

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Re: Panther and X11 issues

Originally posted by homeshire
Also, when I enter the command diskutil repairPermissions/ , I get what appears to be a canned response/ explanation of the command and what it is/does, but the command itself does not run. ...

That's because you're typing it incorrectly. Diskutil giving you usage information -- i.e. information about the parameters it expects. Make sure you type the command exactly as shown, spaces and all:

Code:
diskutil repairPermissions /

Take note of that second space.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
paisano man --

I thought I knew that and was typing it correctly, as you point out, despite how I had it in my post. However, I must have been mistaken because I did indeed get it to work properly, and it can only be because I finally entered the command correctly. thanks

encro --

regrettably, I am not clever enough to figure out how to execute your advice. thanks

in the meantime, I'm off to X11 help, looking for more trouble.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by switchingGeek
Apparently the new shell automaticall clears the screen after each command.

STUPID!!! Could it be any dumber?

The fix is an Macosxhints.com as usual.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031031185759986

Hope this solves your problem!!

Enjoy!!
This is an exaggeration. *Some* commands, like vi, less, man, return the screen to the state it was in before you ran the command (which is not the same as clearing it). And it's a function of the terminal emulation you are using, not the "new shell".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.