Panther and X11 issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by homeshire, Nov 5, 2003.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohio, looking toward Germany
    I've noticed a couple things/problems that seem to have popped up in X11. When I enter the command printenv DISPLAY, I should get a response from the terminal. Instead, I get nothing but a new prompt. That shouldn't happen. The response should be something like 0,1 , or some such. Also, when I enter the command diskutil repairPermissions/ , I get what appears to be a canned response/ explanation of the command and what it is/does, but the command itself does not run. There may be other issues, but these are 2 that I've noticed.
    I recently ran fink selfupdate, and then fink update-all. many hours later, upon it's completion, I seemed to have a # of problems, but they largely resolved themselves after some fooling around (which I shouldn't indulge in, I don't really know what I'm doing), except for these two. Can anyone help me or explain what's going on? thanks
  2. encro macrumors 6502

May 6, 2002
    If your using the default shell (bash) then
    add this line to your ~/.bash_profile:

export=DISPLAY :0.0

If you have switched back to tcsh then
    add this line to your ~/.tcshrc:

setenv DISPLAY :0.0
  3. PaisanoMan macrumors member

Jan 26, 2003
    Re: Panther and X11 issues

That's because you're typing it incorrectly. Diskutil giving you usage information -- i.e. information about the parameters it expects. Make sure you type the command exactly as shown, spaces and all:

diskutil repairPermissions /
    Take note of that second space.
  4. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohio, looking toward Germany
    paisano man --

I thought I knew that and was typing it correctly, as you point out, despite how I had it in my post. However, I must have been mistaken because I did indeed get it to work properly, and it can only be because I finally entered the command correctly. thanks

encro --

regrettably, I am not clever enough to figure out how to execute your advice. thanks

in the meantime, I'm off to X11 help, looking for more trouble.
  5. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
  6. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    This is an exaggeration. *Some* commands, like vi, less, man, return the screen to the state it was in before you ran the command (which is not the same as clearing it). And it's a function of the terminal emulation you are using, not the "new shell".