Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
I could really use some help right now! Let me walk you through what happened.

First, I have a G4 Sawtooth running 10.2.8 (jaguar). I decided to upgrade to Panther, so I grabbed my Boss' Panther CDs (We have a site license), and tossed the install CD in the drive. I ran the standard upgrade, but when it finished it said "There were problems withthe installation, please try again." So I did, with the same result. I tried to boot the machine without the CD in the drive, and it just completely faild in a torrent of UNIX nastiness. So I tried an "Archive and Install." Same problem, no dice. So I thought, "heck, I don't have any important data on it," so I tried doing the erase and install, clearing the hard drive and reinstalling. But this failed as well. So I tried it again, but now It won't even let me attempt to install, Theinstaller just tells me "Cannot install on this Disk, no previous installation of OS X detected!" I'm sorta at a loss of how to go from here! I thought the install disks did clean installastions and upgrades. And the recovery disks I have here only restore me to OS 9, which as you may imagine I am not too thrilled about. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get an operating system installed on my mac again???

Thanks!

Aaron

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Sounds like that 10.3 CD is only an upgrade CD, but I didn't know those existed... If you get a full 10.2/10.3 install CD, you should be fine.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
crazzyeddie said:
Sounds like that 10.3 CD is only an upgrade CD, but I didn't know those existed... If you get a full 10.2/10.3 install CD, you should be fine.
The upgrade CDs do exist. They come when you get the OS release through the Up To Date program, or they're tossed into the system box when they're shipped right after the OS is released and the system doesn't have the new OS on it.

The person needs to find an OS X CD set that isn't an upgrade set. Usually only the first CD is different.

I didn't know Apple did OS X site licenses.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Bear said:
The upgrade CDs do exist. They come when you get the OS release through the Up To Date program, or they're tossed into the system box when they're shipped right after the OS is released and the system doesn't have the new OS on it.

The person needs to find an OS X CD set that isn't an upgrade set. Usually only the first CD is different.

I didn't know Apple did OS X site licenses.

He said he had 10.2 installed....

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
I'm not honestly sure if it is a site license or a multi-pack. It is licensed, of that I am sure. I am at a university, and the professor I work under is very strict about such things.

I suppose I shall try to track down the 10.2 discs somewhere, or a complete installer of 10.3. Curses!

Thanks for your help, everyone! If anyone has any more input, let me know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.