Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I'm sorry, I don't have time to look through the forums to see if this has already been posted, so please bear with me if this has been asked before (I'm on a trip, no real internet access).

I'm trying to reinstall OS X (Panther) on my G3 Powerbook now that I got a new hard drive for it, but after going through the first CD of installation, it'll boot up and go straight back to the first install point, not ask for the second CD. I can't seem to finish the OS X install!

So, I've installed OS X on the old drive fine, I don't know why it's doing this. I had to put the drive in "slave" mode for the computer to allow me to even do an OS X install on it, could this be a reason for the problem? WIthout jumpers on it, in master mode, it told me OS X couldn't be installed.

Oh, also, if I go thorugh the install again after the first CD doesn't ask for the second, it tells me it's going to "upgrade" the old install, but just goes ahead and reeaaaalllly slowly installs the system again.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: Pb Specs in sig. It's a Lombard, should natively support 10.3.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
livingfortoday said:
So, I've installed OS X on the old drive fine, I don't know why it's doing this. I had to put the drive in "slave" mode for the computer to allow me to even do an OS X install on it, could this be a reason for the problem? WIthout jumpers on it, in master mode, it told me OS X couldn't be installed.
Put the new drive back in master (or cable select) mode... Mac OS X really shouldn't be installed on a volume in slave mode.

Boot from the CD... format the drive (HFS+). Do not try to install, just reboot from the CD. The installer should now let you install on that drive.

Additionally... pull the battery. It is always best on PowerBook G3s (and early clamshell iBooks) to not have the battery in during the installation of Mac OS X.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Perfect, thanks! I had to boot with it in slave for the first CD, and then I shut it down and took off the jumper, and it asked for the second CD. Weird, but it works fine now.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.