Panther Sleep Problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chancellor, Apr 24, 2004.

1. chancellor macrumors member

chancellor

I've recently acquired two problems with taking Panther out of sleep. Both started shortly after I installed the recent security update, so I suspect that might be a cause. I'm using an Aluminum Powerbook 1.25 GHz.

1. When I put my PB to sleep, it sometimes suddenly wakes up a few second later while the lid is closed. As well, sometimes if I put it to sleep when it's on battery, when I plug it in to power, it suddenly wakes up (with the lid closed).

2. When I bring my PB out of sleep, sometimes the sound doesn't work. If I hit one of the sound adjustments, it gets back to normal. The sound isn't muted--if I hit the mute button while the sound isn't working, the screen image shows it's just been muted. Once I take it out of mute, the sound works normally.

Has anyone heard of these issues, or does anyone have a possible solution?

Thanks for you help!

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Just curious - do you have an iPod connected to the Firewire port when these sleep issues happen?

I've noticed my powerbook waking unexpectedly for the past week or so; and I think (could be wrong) it only happens if I put it to sleep when my iPod is still connected. So I wondered if it was related to a "fix" for the previous "iPod battery discharges while laptop is sleeping" problem.

3. chancellor thread starter macrumors member

chancellor

Nope. I don't have an iPod. The only things that are ever connected to my compuper are the power cable, an ethernet cable, and a wireless bluetooth mouse. And I turn the mouse off when I close my PB--it suddenly wakes up as late as 45 seconds later so the mouse can't be the problem.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Huh. I was just about to post "nevermind", because my Powerbook just pulled the same stunt without the iPod connected. I had put it to sleep a few hours ago. When I came back to use it just now, the sleep light was out - and lifting the lid did nothing as far as I could see.

I found an interesting and possibly related thread on Mac OS Rumors. I didn't have the "wake for administrator access" box checked, but the power-button trick mentioned in the discussion did let me get back in without rebooting. Note that the thread is from last October though, and I just started seeing the problem...

Edit: Guess instead of a "few hours ago" it was "like one hour ago". :D But still...

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hey - I may have figured this out, at least in my case. Or perhaps I've just been oblivious to something up until now. You folks tell me...

I accidentally bumped my Bluetooth mouse while my laptop was closed and asleep; and the Powerbook woke up! When I opened it the screen was off though, but through the tricks from that previously-posted "hints" link I got my screen on.

So I went to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse, and clicked on the Bluetooth header. At the bottom of that page, there's a checked preference that says "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer".

Now I don't remember seeing that preference before - has it been around all this while? I don't know why I would have checked that box, in any case. But I've unchecked it, and am betting this will solve my "unexpected waking" problem.

6. evil macrumors 6502

i had similar problems..but much worse and it turned out to be a broken piece. it was the sensor thing for the latch for the lid.