Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chancellor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Edmonton
I've recently acquired two problems with taking Panther out of sleep. Both started shortly after I installed the recent security update, so I suspect that might be a cause. I'm using an Aluminum Powerbook 1.25 GHz.

1. When I put my PB to sleep, it sometimes suddenly wakes up a few second later while the lid is closed. As well, sometimes if I put it to sleep when it's on battery, when I plug it in to power, it suddenly wakes up (with the lid closed).

2. When I bring my PB out of sleep, sometimes the sound doesn't work. If I hit one of the sound adjustments, it gets back to normal. The sound isn't muted--if I hit the mute button while the sound isn't working, the screen image shows it's just been muted. Once I take it out of mute, the sound works normally.

Has anyone heard of these issues, or does anyone have a possible solution?

Thanks for you help!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Just curious - do you have an iPod connected to the Firewire port when these sleep issues happen?

I've noticed my powerbook waking unexpectedly for the past week or so; and I think (could be wrong) it only happens if I put it to sleep when my iPod is still connected. So I wondered if it was related to a "fix" for the previous "iPod battery discharges while laptop is sleeping" problem.

chancellor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Edmonton
Westside guy said:
Just curious - do you have an iPod connected to the Firewire port when these sleep issues happen?

Nope. I don't have an iPod. The only things that are ever connected to my compuper are the power cable, an ethernet cable, and a wireless bluetooth mouse. And I turn the mouse off when I close my PB--it suddenly wakes up as late as 45 seconds later so the mouse can't be the problem.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Huh. I was just about to post "nevermind", because my Powerbook just pulled the same stunt without the iPod connected. I had put it to sleep a few hours ago. When I came back to use it just now, the sleep light was out - and lifting the lid did nothing as far as I could see.

I found an interesting and possibly related thread on Mac OS Rumors. I didn't have the "wake for administrator access" box checked, but the power-button trick mentioned in the discussion did let me get back in without rebooting. Note that the thread is from last October though, and I just started seeing the problem...

Edit: Guess instead of a "few hours ago" it was "like one hour ago". :D But still...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Hey - I may have figured this out, at least in my case. Or perhaps I've just been oblivious to something up until now. You folks tell me...

I accidentally bumped my Bluetooth mouse while my laptop was closed and asleep; and the Powerbook woke up! When I opened it the screen was off though, but through the tricks from that previously-posted "hints" link I got my screen on.

So I went to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse, and clicked on the Bluetooth header. At the bottom of that page, there's a checked preference that says "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer".

Now I don't remember seeing that preference before - has it been around all this while? I don't know why I would have checked that box, in any case. But I've unchecked it, and am betting this will solve my "unexpected waking" problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.