Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
I just wonder, I can't remember what SJ said as to the when Panther is going to be shipped. All I remember was "by the end of 2004", is that correct ? don't we have any better estimate ?

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Re: Panther, when ?

Originally posted by windwaves
I just wonder, I can't remember what SJ said as to the when Panther is going to be shipped. All I remember was "by the end of 2004", is that correct ? don't we have any better estimate ?

Erm...do you mean the end of 2003 perhaps? ;)

But yes, all Steve said was that Panther would be released by the end of this year.

--Fred

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
he did inded say vby the end of 03, and i hope it's going tpo be soon. the panther beta seems to be ok. not too many bugs. i hope they have a party like they did for jaguar:D

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
there are plenty of bugs and glitches in the wwdc panther preview but it runs overally smooth. I think its got a way to go but I would expect it in the fall sept/october hopefully...btw it runs on g3s fine.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
btw it runs on g3s fine.

Good :) A surprising amount of people have been worried that Panther won't support G3s. Being on a G3 myself it's good to hear confirmation that they're still supported.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i don't think you should be worried about you being on a G3 for a little while because you have an 800Mhz one. that will continue to be supported for a little while longer than a 400Mhz one.:)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
there are plenty of bugs and glitches in the wwdc panther preview but it runs overally smooth. I think its got a way to go but I would expect it in the fall sept/october hopefully...btw it runs on g3s fine.
it ran OK, yeah, but still has plenty of bugs to keep apple busy till well into the winter possibly. i would agree though that it should come out about the end of the summer, maybe close to labor day.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
I just can't wait... I feel like having a g5 w/o panther is kind of having half of the "thing". I was truly impressed with the presentation, some things simply made a hell of a lot of sense to me - and that is rare !!!!!!!

May be then I just won'r rush for the dual 2ghz - it could very well be that by the time panther is ready we have a dual 3 ghz ..... oh well, I like to let my imagination flow

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i don't think you should be worried about you being on a G3 for a little while because you have an 800Mhz one. that will continue to be supported for a little while longer than a 400Mhz one.:)

Yeah I know, but I've got proper confirmation now :)

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i hope they have a party like they did for jaguar:D

Yeah, me too. I'd like another cool T-Shirt.

Plus, at the Jaguar launch you got 10% off any purchases if you bought Jaguar (Jagwire). I wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred on a new G5.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Didn't Apple add lots of extra features in the time between jaguar dev preview and the finshed release?
Since they are going to use more time this year, do you think there will be many more features in the finished release of panther?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I would expect Panther to be released before the iChat AV beta expires in December.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.