Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzman45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
lawrence, ks
I can't seem to find any information on whether or not we'll get Panther as a free upgrade when it comes out if we buy a mac now. Does anyone know? I remember getting 10.1 for free with a little proof of purchase thing after I got my iBook long ago.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Panther with new computer?

Originally posted by jazzman45
I can't seem to find any information on whether or not we'll get Panther as a free upgrade when it comes out if we buy a mac now. Does anyone know? I remember getting 10.1 for free with a little proof of purchase thing after I got my iBook long ago.

10.1 was free for everybody.

as for whether panther will be free for those who buy now, there is no info about it. Apple hasn't said as far as I know. I rather think they will offer it for 20 bucks as they have historically done, but you will be taking a chance. Apple hasn't been as generous as they used to be about it.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I wouldn't count on it.......

Panther is too far away. At best, its 2 months away, but more realistically, its gonna be more like 5 months. Steve said it would be available at the end of the year, and he would have said "end of summer" if he had meant it. Remember when Jaguar beta was released, Apple said the final version would be available at the end of summer, and it was. Following that logic and what Steve said, I imagine it won't be out till Nov/Dec, and that would mean if you bought a new mac now, you'd probably pay full price for panther when its released.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Well, if you buy the iBook now, probably have to pay full price for the upgrade.

But the upgrade would be around $100 US and maybe cheaper for Macs bought within a certain time...

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
well in the PowerMac G5's Specs thing said that they would ship with 10.2.7...So I don't think you will recive panther for free...best to wait it out

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
panther will cost like jag did.
apple made 10.1 free cause they said that it is what 10.0 should have been like.
10.3 is worth it - believe me (check sig)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Yeah jag was like $68 for students....and if you have a mom whos a teacher you might be able to hold out for a "panthher for tecahers program" but thats a ways off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.