Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for telling the other side. :) i’m not anti-city, I’m anti- over development and our system, encourages, seems to depend on developing every square foot. The quality of a place that makes it feel special, is ultimately destroyed in this process, because of overcrowding, with wholesale degradation of the environment.
I get you.

I'm all for planned development and since the mid to late '90s that seems to be the way things are going in the states I've lived in at least.

But I grew up in this dinky town where everyone just wanted to be left alone and development was cause for fear and angst. Change was never embraced even if it ultimately benefitted you. I guess that was one of the reasons it took so long for it to happen.

But around 2000 the area got an influx of people priced out of Orange County and San Diego looking for affordable homes. They wanted their conveniences close so the area developed. Cherry Valley, Banning and Beaumont are now bedroom communities for those with jobs that take them an hour and a half to get to every day.

A former friend of mine still lives there. He could have afforded to go anywhere he wanted after college but he chose to reside there and raise his family there. Back when we were still friends I got the impression that more and more he hated the place as development came on.

We all have our preferences and priorities. Rural just is not mine due to experiences and personality.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.