Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Does this utility support writing to HFS+ partitions in Windows?

Ok I see it does... but its awkward. Is the ultimate goal to duplicate MacDrive capability?

duxDuck

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
It's a different approach, but since it's in beta the usability has to be improved. Hope to see it more user-friendly in the near future. If you have suggestions, post them! :)

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Dear Forum Visitors,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are planning to release MacBrowser by the end of this year. Your feedback was very useful for us to release a good product.

All beta testers will receive NTFS for Mac OS X 7.0 along with MacBrowser free of charge. I will let you know it later (after the release).

Sp0ng3B0b, starless and duxDuck thank you for your bug reports and suggestions. We will consider them to implement.

computerfreak, I am sorry for errors you have encountered. We almost have re-written the MacBrowser’s code and will check these issues soon. Thanks.

If you still have questions – please ask them.

I wish you have a very nice time during coming holidays.
Merry Christmas and joyful time.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
Anatoly.

S

Sidhartha

64 Bit Support

Hey Guys,

Any ideas when 64-bit support is coming on-line...?

Thanks

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I am testing this on a late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.8 running a fresh installation of Vista 32-bit SP2 and it just made the MBP hang (forcing me to do a hard power-off).

I copied the program directory of Ableton Live from the subdirectory "Macinthosh HD/AUDIO" to the Vista desktop when the hang happened.

Furthermore I noticed quite high CPU load (kernel load) while copying files (27% CPU load according to Task-Manager when the computer hang) and find copying files to be rather slow (250 gb, 7200 rpm drive, partitioned into two halves). Even worse, while the copy operation is running the Windows Desktop is not useable (colored circle mousepointer showing). That doesn't happen with even much larger copy operation from a local or a network drive.

Last but not least I find it very inconvinient that every sub-folder of "Macintosh HD" is opened in a separate window even when Explorer is not set to do that by default.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Integration with "Total Commander" doesn't seem to work unfortunately. It is not possible to copy anything back and forth between the HFS+ and the NTFS volume unless you already copied it via right-click copy/paste before (not CTRL-C/V) from inside Total Commander's windows. Once you copy and paste it via right-click you can also copy it via Total Commander's F5 command.

Vivaldi

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I'd love to try this beta, but unfortunately every time I attempt register I get a "registration failed" error (yes, I did fill out all the forms, and yes, I did click both checkmarks).

pinchies

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
While it installs fine, it does not work at all.

Hi Paragon Dev's, I've been trying MacBrowser under Windows 7 (64 bit -could this be the problem?) - It didn't work out well at all.

The beta installed fine in the Windows 7 beta, but I had to disable the UAC (which makes more sense to leave on in Win7) to get it to install properly.

The MacBrowser drive does not appear in "my computer", and there is no "Other" category of drives like the vista screenshots show.

I'm looking forward to getting it working I'll be giving it a thorough test over the next few days, with several GB's of data to transfer. If I can't get windows 7 to work, I'll just do it by trying MacBrowser in XP instead, so it's not an urgent problem.

tomf40ph

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Product implementation

Thanks to the developers for providing a public beta.

I was under the impression this product would enable viewing of all HFS drives. On a space limited laptop, working as a freelance support technician in mixed environments, I would like access to external HFS drives, be they Sata, USB, FireWire, Flash, or even SCSI. Looking at the forum and my own experience with the software this past month shows there is no such support.

My expectations for NTFS and MacBrowser are the ability to read and write files from [external] drives for either platform regardless of the OS I'm currently booted in.

Regards,
Tom

Sp0ng3B0b

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Congratulations on the release of Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X 7

Wishing you a good business in the future

duxDuck

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I'd really like to upgrade my copy of NTFS for Mac OS X and as a MacBrowser beta tester I don't know if I have to buy the upgrade or if I am eligible for a free copy.

Anatoly

Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Dear Forum Visitors,

I am sorry for keeping silence for so long. We have released Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X 7.0 that includes MacBrowser.
Thank you very much for you help with testing Paragon MacBrowser. We appreciate it very much. As I promised the most active beta testers will be provided with the product for free.
The most active beta testers are:
Sp0ng3B0b;
starless;
duxDuck;
computerfreak;
Timur;
pinchies.

Please send me your names and email as a private message and I will provide you with the product link soon.

Thank you all,
Anatoly.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Hehe, I just bought NTFS for Mac before reading here again. Too bad. But I could give the extra licence to my band-mate.

Version 7 solves the problems of the V6 trial where many files being copied resulted in errors.

NTFS for Mac is considerably faster when writing compared to the freeware NTFS-3G, but it's still considerably slower than using HFS or FAT32 on OS X or using NTFS on native Windows (Bootcamp). I hope that write performance is enhanced with the next version.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with Mac Browser. It simply doesn't show my HFS/OS X partition of a bootcamped Macbook Pro (1 HFS+ OS X partition + 1 NTFS Vista-64 partition).

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Unfortunately I'm still having problems with Mac Browser. It simply doesn't show my HFS/OS X partition of a bootcamped Macbook Pro (1 HFS+ OS X partition + 1 NTFS Vista-64 partition).

Virtually identical system (iMac, not MBP) and I have the same problem. Maybe their 64-bit Windows drivers don't really work yet. The beta was 32-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.