Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I know the word parallelepiped, and its very common but I went to type it in to the expose dictionary, and it says its not found!!!

I know something in OSX knows this word, because to spell it right I had to type it into a chat window and right click it to get the spelling choices.

How the conversation came up was I was trying to think of the word for a parallelogram with all sides equal in length. Like a square with non 90º angles. But instead of saying parallelogram I said parallelepiped. Anyway, the figure is called rhombus, I thought of it wile making this post.

dictionary.com has parallelepiped, I would believe the Oxford dictionary has parallelepiped, and it was my understanding that the dictionary.app was based on the entire Oxford dictionary. So why no parallelepiped? And what other words didn't make the cut? (Mainly common words, you might think parallelepiped isn't common but it really is.)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
and the command+ctrl+D dictionary finds it for me, too. :)

Maybe my powerbook is just smarter than your Mac? :p

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
It's definitely in my dictionary.app.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 104

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Dictionary.app uses the New Oxford American Dictionary... it's an abridged dictionary. There are many different dictionaries by many different publishers and none of them contain the same word sets.

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
I'm waiting for jared_kipe to come back and tell us that now he can't find "gullible" in the OSX dictionary. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.