Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
This is driving me crazy. I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro all with the "Notes" program. I've followed all the directions in order to be able to password protect/lock the documents in Notes but I can't get any of the devices to work.

No where in either Notes, settings or the documents themselves do I see anyway to turn the feature on. All my devices have updated software also.

Any tips on getting this to work?

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
If you are up to date, both in iOS and Notes, then the option will be available in Settings > Notes >Password... Cant recall how it is done in OS X and it is not near me at the moment.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
If you are up to date, both in iOS and Notes, then the option will be available in Settings > Notes >Password... Cant recall how it is done in OS X and it is not near me at the moment.
The password setting is in Notes.app via the menu bar:

scr-notes.png

There is also a menu item at File -> Lock This Note, which I've never used so cannot comment on what it does.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Everything's set up correctly (I think!) and I can see the greyed out "lock" but everything pertaining to the lock feature is greyed out and not accessible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.