Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mundy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
The title says it all. I have a client with sensitive data on his system. He needs to be able to password protect individual folders (as opposed to system-wide encryption using FileVault, which he does not want to do).

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Short answer is no (as far as i am aware).

Simplest way to do it is to compress or make an image of the folder and password the .dmg or .sitx or whatever file.

Password protecting folders would be nice, i agree.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I want to think I've heard of some software you get get that will let you do this, but I can't remember exactly.

Another thing to consider, though, would be to rename the folder by simply putting a period in front of its name, such as ".secretfolder"

then, in the Finder it's considered hidden. you'll never know it's there unless you allow viewing hidden files/folder, or if you manually type in its location to go there. in some cases, that could be just as good, if not better, than password protection

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
More specific to the answer above, later versions StuffIt's "DropStuff" uses 512 bit encryption, works great!

Another way to just hide stuff is to pick out a small application you don't ever use and right click, select "Show package contents", open "Contents" then stick whatever in a "Resources" folder like dutch.Iproj. I've tested it and a normal search doesn't see it, but if it's a huge file, then a program like "WhatSize" will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.