PayPal Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by purplelizzard, Feb 13, 2007.

1. purplelizzard macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    I have a website where people make orders and then the payment is done through PayPal, the payments are of varying size, and the code for the PayPal pay button is generated with PHP. What I would like is to be able to know the ammount of mony that they payed with PayPal. Right now I have a custom field in the PayPal form that is the ammount that they owe. I then want to be able to retrieve this value. I tried using a POST on the return page, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?
  2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Austin Texas
    What is the problem with using PayPal's button? then when someone give's you money you get an email with the amount. And if you don't want to use the ugly paypal button you can use your own. I think you are making this to hard, so unless I'm missing some key detail- don't try and script it yourself.
  3. purplelizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    How I have it now is that every user has an account with a balance. When they make a purchase, the ammount of the purchase is added to the account balance, so they can pay it later. At the time of order, it is an option for them to pay for the order right away. If they do this, I want to subtract the ammount of the order from their balance so that they don't have to pay again. I would like to use PHP to do this, so every time someone makes a transaction, I don't have to manually edit the database.
  4. atulperx macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2007

I noticed that there are similair stories on" YOU SHOULD VISIT THERE FOR MORE INFORMATION .
  5. purplelizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    All that page had was horror stories, I want to use PayPal.
  6. purplelizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
  7. rksprst macrumors member

Jan 17, 2004
    another way to do what you want:

have a regular button subtracting the amount from their balance when clicked using php code, then after the amount is subtracted they are asked to click on the paypal button to pay

so they just click two buttons
    first your button, then the paypal

also try using a session instead of post, see if that works
  8. purplelizzard thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    If they press one and then don't press the other, their payment is subtracted without them paying anything. I have a temporary solution now, but it doesn't work perfectly. I would like to use IPN i think.