Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Okay, so Apple wants to charge $500 more to put 1GB of memory (1 x 1GB SO-DIMM) in the PowerBook 15".

So why in the world do they want to charge $1200 for 2GB of memory (2 x 1GB SO-DIMM)? Maybe my math is way off, but if a 1GB SO-DIMM costs $500, then two of those units should cost $1000.

What gives? Are they trying to recover the costs from the price cuts?

Maybe when I place an order I should tell them to ship the memory separate and I'll install it myself.

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Based on the rates their logic appears to be $700 for the 1 Gig stick, and they are crediting you $200 for giving up the 512 Megs that comes with the PB.

Why would anyone buy ram from apple? Take the stock model, get the ram from crucial, and throw the stock ram in the garbage. It's wasteful but cheaper. Does apple save money using 2x256 vs 1x512? Just a pain in the ass for the consumers.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by fred_garvin
Based on the rates their logic appears to be $700 for the 1 Gig stick, and they are crediting you $200 for giving up the 512 Megs that comes with the PB.

Why would anyone buy ram from apple? Take the stock model, get the ram from crucial, and throw the stock ram in the garbage. It's wasteful but cheaper. Does apple save money using 2x256 vs 1x512? Just a pain in the ass for the consumers.
i believe in the 15 and 17 inch models apple ships total ram in 1 slot. of course i would have to double check but im pretty sure.

iJon

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
i believe in the 15 and 17 inch models apple ships total ram in 1 slot. of course i would have to double check but im pretty sure.

iJon

You can order the PB with 2x256 or 1x512. You pay more for the 1x512 option though.

The same can be had for 1GB (2x512 or 1x1GB).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by tomf87
You can order the PB with 2x256 or 1x512. You pay more for the 1x512 option though.

ooooooh, i gotcha. interesting indeed.

iJon

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Originally posted by tomf87

Ya, I got **** on that like almost $100 for choosing the one DIMM. No big deal though, now I have a free slot for some cheap 3rd party RAM.

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
The $100 to "upgrade" to 1x512 costs more than ordering a 512 from crucial. Just order the PB from Amazon to avoid sales tax, or Mac Mall/Warehouse/Zone/Connection. Usually those guys throw in a second battery and or an extra 512 Megs.

Outside of the educational store and serious BTO's why does anyone shop at the apple store?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
The $100 to "upgrade" to 1x512 costs more than ordering a 512 from crucial. Just order the PB from Amazon to avoid sales tax, or Mac Mall/Warehouse/Zone/Connection. Usually those guys throw in a second battery and or an extra 512 Megs.

Outside of the educational store and serious BTO's why does anyone shop at the apple store?

Refurbs... My friend got a refurb iMac 17" 1Ghz a while ago. It said it had 256MB of RAM, but it shipped with 512 in the factory slot. Must be nice.. :)

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003

Why would anyone buy ram from apple?

I can think of four reasons.

1. Simpler and safer (corporate). Buy complete systems and don't monkey with them or risk damaging them with upgrades. They should just work.

2. Availability. For example, the 1GB memory modules are not available at 'all the usual places'. For example, Crucial does not list the new PB15 1GB modules as available. So, Apple has a rare commodity.

3. Cost. In the case of 1GB memory, TransIntl.com does have it for $650. Apple sells it retail for $700. However, if you're a developer (or some other 20% discount class), you can buy it for $560. That's cheap ($90 off) compared to TransIntl. Depending on the situation, purchasing from Apple can be cheapest!

4. Apple Protection Plan coverage. One other reason (goes well with point #1 (simple and safe)), if you're planning to buy Apple Protection Plan coverage for your computer, it will automatically cover your Apple purchased memory (at no additional cost). Since the memory can be expensive, this is a pleasant bonus.

Finally, I'd say Apple memory (as with other vendors) tends to be on the expensive side, but I also believe their current prices are much more in line with online norms than it has been in the past, and selling hard-to-get memory for even cheaper than everyone else when most others can't even get it is quite remarkable.

Cheers.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yeah, I paid an extra $90 *just* to have my RAM in a single module instead of split into two. It sucks, but at least it'd be cheaper this way than to buy two 512 ones and have to trash two 256 ones just so I can upgrade later. But, that's just business.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Originally posted by occam
I can think of four reasons.

1. Simpler and safer (corporate). Buy complete systems and don't monkey with them or risk damaging them with upgrades. They should just work.

2. Availability. For example, the 1GB memory modules are not available at 'all the usual places'. For example, Crucial does not list the new PB15 1GB modules as available. So, Apple has a rare commodity.

3. Cost. In the case of 1GB memory, TransIntl.com does have it for $650. Apple sells it retail for $700. However, if you're a developer (or some other 20% discount class), you can buy it for $560. That's cheap ($90 off) compared to TransIntl. Depending on the situation, purchasing from Apple can be cheapest!

4. Apple Protection Plan coverage. One other reason (goes well with point #1 (simple and safe)), if you're planning to buy Apple Protection Plan coverage for your computer, it will automatically cover your Apple purchased memory (at no additional cost). Since the memory can be expensive, this is a pleasant bonus.

Finally, I'd say Apple memory (as with other vendors) tends to be on the expensive side, but I also believe their current prices are much more in line with online norms than it has been in the past, and selling hard-to-get memory for even cheaper than everyone else when most others can't even get it is quite remarkable.

Cheers.

Everyone read this again. It makes sense, especially the note about Apple Warranty covering the RAM. I have had serveral third party chips for G4 towers over the last year that got hosed, about 4 out of 16.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well when I ordered my PowerBook under the Edu discount, it was still $360 just to upgrade the RAM to 1 gig. I can get Crucial for a bit less later on, and I trust they will ship me good RAM because I have yet to see, hear, or read a single bad thing about Crucial. I believe I got my RAM from Kensington when I upgraded my PowerBook G3 a few years back, and they also seem to be pretty solid. It depends on where you go I'd say. Personally, I'd go for Crucial and not have a second thought when it came to reliability, since they have one rock solid reputation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.