Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i have seen this thread come up, but i need some specific about what bag to get for my PB.

i need a laptop bag that can also be used as a messenger bag for my school books. i would like it to be as small as possible, but still having enough room for my 15 in PB and a text book or two.

any suggestions?

thanks a ton

phrac

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
Steven1621 said:
i have seen this thread come up, but i need some specific about what bag to get for my PB.

i need a laptop bag that can also be used as a messenger bag for my school books. i would like it to be as small as possible, but still having enough room for my 15 in PB and a text book or two.

any suggestions?

thanks a ton

http://www.spireusa.com - check out the endo, perfect.

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Steven1621 said:

any suggestions?

thanks a ton

timbuk2.com
The original messenger bag and still one of the best. Check out their laptop bags (The Commute).

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
http://www.brenthaven.com
The Apple backpacks are great and have room for books, the 15 professional is what I use for university.

http://www.goincase.com/
Incase also has some nice messenger bags. My cousin has the moyapack for ibook, and its nice, but not very much room for books. The brenthaven backpacks are roomiest in my opinion, plus they're hardcore.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
I had the incase sling bag- not good for 15", it has a removable pad inside that's there for the 12" but then you have exposed hard velcro scratching up your 15"pb.... They were a great co. to deal with though, they're sending me a moya instead. But in the meantime I went and got a manhattan portage expandable messenger bag and a tom bihn mitre slip case. That's worked really great for me. It's not too big and looks like a regular bag that I would carry around normally, unfortunately there are not too many options for "smallness" when you're dealing with the 15". It's compact, but not small.
here's the example of the man. port. messenger they have on ebags...and the mitre...

Attachments

• 16958_bxlrg.jpg
    16958_bxlrg.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 688
  • mitre1.jpg
    mitre1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 115

lx in space

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
try Crumpler bags I have the 'Very Busy Man' (which they might not do anymore, and it's great fits a Ti 15" PB and has plenty of other space.

as the Ti PB paint is wotk is notoriously 'flaky' (sorry :( ) i teemed it up with a Tucano notebook second skin to help protect my PB, but probably wasn't that necessary

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
krisjon said:
timbuk2.com
The original messenger bag and still one of the best. Check out their laptop bags (The Commute).

the commute is labeled as a laptop bag, how good is it at carrying other stuff, namely books? is there enough room?

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Steven1621 said:
the commute is labeled as a laptop bag, how good is it at carrying other stuff, namely books? is there enough room?

I second timbuk2 but have you ever thought of just going with one of their sleeves and using a basic backpack as your "bag" for power adapter, books, lunch, beverage, etc.?

I ask because I use a sleeve and it eliminates the theft-factor - at least psychologically - for me.

You can buy a sleeve first and if you really want to get a commuter bag down the road, by all means. Just something to ponder...

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
Inspector Lee said:
I second timbuk2 but have you ever thought of just going with one of their sleeves and using a basic backpack as your "bag" for power adapter, books, lunch, beverage, etc.?

I ask because I use a sleeve and it eliminates the theft-factor - at least psychologically - for me.

You can buy a sleeve first and if you really want to get a commuter bag down the road, by all means. Just something to ponder...

what exactly are the advantages of the sleeve over a bag? i have heard about these sleeves, but i have never seen one.

drjekyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
TIBMUK2

I have a 15 aluPB and have the timbuk2 commute and must say it saved my PB. I longboard on campus with my books and PB in my bag and one day a wheel fell off. I took a spill but the PB was fine. I attribute it to the padded back of the bag, and the waist strap that comes with the bag (which isn't mentioned on their website anywhere, but is a MUST )
Plus the bag just has a lot of convenient pockets etc. I can fit two text books + Binder + PB and all sorts of cables, Calculator/pda, and other stuff. IMO it's worth every penny!

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Steven1621 said:

I just got a Commute XL for my new 17 and it's got tons of room - it seems like I'm finding a new, extra pocket every time I open it (there are a lot). I carry a lot of stuff around and I know I could still easily fit a good-sized textbook or two on top of that. If you have an Apple Store nearby, they're likely to have one you can actually look at and decide if the regular size is enough or if the XL might better. Both will hold your 15.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Steven1621 said:
what exactly are the advantages of the sleeve over a bag? i have heard about these sleeves, but i have never seen one.

Sorry for the delay in replying. The sleeve will fit your laptop like a skin. It has a scratch-resistant interior and durable nylon exterior. There is a little clip that holds your system in place, and two handles. I must point out though that the sleeve does not completely cover your PB. About an inch will be exposed along one side but I have never had any problems with my TiBook because of this.

I would recommend any sleeve regardless of what bag you go with. You don't want to throw your PB in with everything else. That is how sh-- happens. Also, if you were to drop your bag (and stranger things have happened) the sleeve should provide some impact-protection for the corners of the PB.

When I bought my sleeves (PB/iBook) for my girlfriend and I, I was planning to purchase a commuter bag down the road. However, I found that my regular North Face daypack does the trick just fine. But that is your call.

On a side note, you might want to also pick up a Marware keyboard protector (around $10) because with the lid on your PB closed, you may get key imprints on your LCD - especially if you have a book or 2 in your bag.

shazammy

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2004
I can't recommend Crumpler bags enough. Amazingly well made, very distinctive looking, padded and protective, best bags I've seen bar none.

Cheapest place I've found for them in the States is:
http://www.crumplerbags.com/

Check out the "Laptop bags" section or the backpacks. They all have built-in sleeves. I own a Crippy Duck (orange) for when I just need my PB and a few other things, and a Crisp Suit (olive) for when I need to carry everything and the kitchen sink.

And yes, they DO still make the Very Busy Man model!

Steven1621 said:

any suggestions?

thanks a ton

gemio17

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
I second the sleeve and keyboard protector suggested above. It just makes you feel good :) I would take a look at http://www.radtech.us - I have the keyboard protector (screensavrz) and it's great. If you get a dedicated laptop bag- at least get one of their powersleevz for cosmetic/scratch protection....coz you never know when a stray pencil, pretzel, hard candy is gonna find it's way thru your bag and onto your new pb :eek:

kimcorp

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2004
Blurr BTR

Hi,

If you are leaning on going with something that is on the smaller size, then check out Blurr.

I have the BTR Note and it's great. I can store a PB Ti G4 and a bunch of accessories (network cable, mouse, power brick, etc) and still have space for files/books etc. Note: lengthwise the 15" PB is about as long as you can go.

The operative word here is concise, the bag works best if you are trying not to carry alot of stuff. I've had a couple of other bags that let you carry too much stuff and my back/shoulders paid for it after a long day.

If you travel alot this bag really helps you stay light.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i have both spire and timbuk2 bags ... all are great quality, but the customer service at spire is great ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.