Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
my 17" PB has a cd drive that has decided to make noises. they are quiet lil hums, but are just loud and frequent enough to make me nervous. the drive still works, but it didnt always make sounds. the only relevant information i have about the drive is that one time i was doing hw and i was tapping a rolled up newspaper against my desk to the beat of some music. i guess i wasnt paying attention b/c i tapped my cd drive and it made a loud noise. i later tried a cd in it and it worked np. my question is, do i need to worry about some hardware of mine failing here in the near future? i dont have applecare b/c its too much money and i can only imagine what an arm and a leg it will cost to get the superdrive replaced

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it's going to fail, it'll fail. There's not much you could do about it at this stage. Having said that, it could just be dust build up in the drive. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.