Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
I came home from work last night to find that my younger brother (12) had been using my not-even-1-week old 12" PB. I don't mind him using it at all. However, he'd left it filthy. The screen was COVERED in finger marks, and the whole aluminium body is covered in something... he obviously didn't wash his hands before he uses it.

My solution is 2-fold: tell him tomorrow that he can't use it any more.
Also, I want a good way to clean my baby, as I want to keep her in tip-top condition. Fine if I were just using a plain plastic black Dell laptop, but this is a PB, arguably the sexist notebook in the world.

So, I'm looking for 2 things: best way to clean the LCD, and one way to clean the aluminium body of the computer.

Thank you so much!

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
JOD8FY said:
I agree. That's what I use on my PB and it cleans it up fine. The chemicals though, would work nice on the younger brother... ;)

JOD8FY

Heh, I wish ;) Don't know if my mum would take too kindly to that!

Thanks for the advice, esp. that about the trackpad... I'd probably have let it get wet. I don't want to feck up my brand spanking new computer already!

Cheers!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
josepho said:
The screen was COVERED in finger marks

GRRR!!! I hate when ANYONE touches my screen. why can't people understand that skin has oils and leaves marks. I don't understand why people can't point to a spot on the screen without having to touch it.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Dude, you gotta just lock it up next time. Kids will be kids and your bro's gonna ignore whatever you say to him.

I like cleaning my iBook and PB w/ RadTech's pad. Just add water. Gets the finger prints and whatever sticky out.

MacMan314

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2004
Try turning off automatic login, so that the computer needs a password when you start it up. This would not stop him from touching the screen if he wanted to, but poking a login screen is not too interesting.

If a computer problem persists I have found that the best solution is to remove the fauty hardware (fingers or brother) Chainsaws work well for this purpose.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I 100% agree with the recommendation for iKlear (http://www.klearscreen.com/). I use it on my Powerbook and it works beautifully. It will also clean the case and trackpad without messing anything up. In fact, it makes the trackpad smoother and easier to use (they even say its alright to do on the package).

camobag

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
That grills my cheese

Oh man, speaking of people touching beautiful powerbook screens, my cousin, a MAC USER, did not just touch the screen the day after i had bought my powerbook, he PRESSED ON IT! I'm not exactly sure what mercury does to human flesh but I actually kinda wanted it to burn his entire FACE OFF...then i calmed down. (i realized that that would mean my screen would be completely damaged :D)

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
I think our (over-?)protectiveness for our Macs is borne of the fact that they're so damn hot. If the didn't look so good I doubt we'd be having this discussion... Maybe Apple should make their computers uglier, and we can stop worrying about oil marks on our screens. However... until that moment comes, I'll stay paranoid.

Just as an update, I've just come home from work to find that my brother has been using it (I decided not to be so harsh as to outright ban him), but has left it in pristine condition (I did give him a good talking to earlier)... hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Cheers!

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Josepho - you went for the Powerbook in the end? Coolio :)

iKlear are pretty good for getting the dirt off, though they leave the screen a bit weird... on mine, I get little spots on the screen, so its needs rubbed with a regular soft, lint-free cloth after.

andy.

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
_pb_boi said:
Josepho - you went for the Powerbook in the end? Coolio :)

iKlear are pretty good for getting the dirt off, though they leave the screen a bit weird... on mine, I get little spots on the screen, so its needs rubbed with a regular soft, lint-free cloth after.

andy.

Well, as you may be aware, I did get the iBook, but received it 4 days before the revamp of the line up. I then decided to return the iBook and get one of the new ones... however, I discovered that the Powerboook wasn't THAT much more expensive, and that I really would prefer it.

Boy, it is FINE! This is a great machine, and I'd recommend it, but I also think the iBook is GREAT! I know some people make fun of its appearance, one person describing it as 'gawky', but I think it looks good, and I'd be proud to carry one... just so happens the PB is better!

I've been thus far cleaning my screen with the cleaning cloth supplied with my Sony Ericsson P900, using the 'breathe on the screen then wipe' method... has worked so far.

Cheers!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
sharing and caring

hi josepho... that's great you got your brother to agree to wash his hands. I've recommended that to family members very softly and kindly and it was taken for offense. everyone thinks their hands are clean. I wash my hands periodically when I'm using my 12" PowerBook.

if it's practical, maybe you can set up a USB keyboard and mouse and let him use them with your computer.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
FuzzyBallz said:
Dude, you gotta just lock it up next time. Kids will be kids and your bro's gonna ignore whatever you say to him.

I like cleaning my iBook and PB w/ RadTech's pad. Just add water. Gets the finger prints and whatever sticky out.

I use this too! It works really well. Make sure to wring out the cloth after wetting it (it shouldn't drip when it is dry enough). You don't want it wet - just slightly damp.

josepho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
Rod Rod said:
hi josepho... that's great you got your brother to agree to wash his hands. I've recommended that to family members very softly and kindly and it was taken for offense. everyone thinks their hands are clean. I wash my hands periodically when I'm using my 12" PowerBook.

if it's practical, maybe you can set up a USB keyboard and mouse and let him use them with your computer.

Yeah, I like to wash my hands when I'm using it... just 'cause they get a little sweaty with the heat and everything.

To be honest, he doesn't use it enough to justify another keyboard etc.. we do have another computer, I think he just likes using this one cause it's cool. I often have it with me, or I could easily put it away if I didn't want him to use it, so that's not a problem.

Thanks again :)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
you're welcome. you'll probably agree with me on this one - if I had enough extra money I'd buy my younger brother a newer Mac to call his own. for his part though, I think he wants to buy one from his own money. he says he's waiting for a PB G5, and he doesn't even read rumor sites.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Rod Rod said:
you're welcome. you'll probably agree with me on this one - if I had enough extra money I'd buy my younger brother a newer Mac to call his own. for his part though, I think he wants to buy one from his own money. he says he's waiting for a PB G5, and he doesn't even read rumor sites.

why not get him a $700 eMac?

not glamourous, but it is pretty fast (esp. compared to PBs) and will kepe him away from your baby. If he is saving for a $2.5k laptop, $700 wouldn't bee too far out of his range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.