PB power adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Karatehero, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Karatehero macrumors member

My 12" powerbook's power adapter is dying. The cable that connects to the laptop is making a funny noise right where it is connected to the transformer. I'm assuming that internally there are some bad wires.

Anyways, I went to buy a new one and I discovered that not only are they $80 but they have gotten terrible ratings. People really really hate the ones they have bought.

I dont' want to buy a new adapter only to have it break in a month. What do you guys suggest? Shoudl I just buy the apple one or should I try a 3rd party one? Has anyone bought a 3rd party one?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Look on eBay, Apple ones go for around $40 - $50 there. That's pretty much what you'll pay for a decent 3rd party one. If you do get a non-Apple one, at least get it from a well-known retailer like OWC (macsales.com), so that you know you're getting something decent that won't break your Powerbook.

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Don't forget it is also covered under Applecare if you still have time left on your powerbook.

$79 is a bit much, but if you buy on ebay make sure you get the right model 60w v 80w, not sure what you need.

4. Karatehero thread starter macrumors member

Thats a good call. I'm not that worried about the $$$, I'm more worried about buying garbage. I'm surprised to read reviews like that from Apple. I always brag about their quality and then I shoot myself in the foot.

5. theahnman macrumors member

Not Covered under AppleCare, apparently...

Apparently, damage to the power adapter isn't covered under AppleCare. They claimed that I was pulling on the wires so it wouldn't be covered...
    There's a whole long story to this, but I'll save my energy for my very long letter to Apple Corporate and Investor Relations office.