Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The screen on my PowerBook has died, I took it to an Apple Store and they confirmed what I thought might be wrong with it, the inverter is acting up.

Anyway, for the moment I've hooked the laptop up to an external monitor but some applications are still on the laptops screen. How the hell do I move them onto the other monitor? The screen is blank and I cannot see anything, I've tried guessing but I'm not having any luck with that method.

Its a lame simple question but there you go.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I don't understand. If you have it hooked to the external, shouldn't everything automatically be on the external? Or is that what you were thinking?

You're not trying to span, right? So, what does show up on the external monitor?

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
You can mirror the screen by pressing the F7 button. The external will match the PB screen. You can then go into the monitors control panel and make the external screen the primary by dragging the menu bar (I think)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I don't understand. If you have it hooked to the external, shouldn't everything automatically be on the external? Or is that what you were thinking?

You're not trying to span, right? So, what does show up on the external monitor?

This is what I thought but some of the apps sit on the laptop's screen. Or they did, thanks to you guys its all fixed now, just waiting for macworld to get a replacement machine of some kind.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Try this, I think it might work. It is something I learned by accident. Make a new file on your working desktop. Select one of the applications on your external monitor desktop, don't open it, just select it. Then hit "command + A" to select all. It should highlight all the applications, including the ones on the powerbook you can't reach. Then drag them into the new file you created and they should all be in there. You an drag them out one by one onto the external screen or leave them in there for safety until the powerbook screen gets fixed and then bring all you applications on back to their home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.