Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I've recently swtiched from PC to Mac.
I copied all my websites onto a CD and put it in my Mac.

Why does the Mac randomly make some files uppercase?
This happens with folders, htm files and images.
its pretty irritaing cause now i have to go through each site with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything still works.

any suggestions?

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
'doze does it too...when I hook my iPod shuffle into one of those stupid things it not only doesn't show the whole name (cPod shuffle), but it has it as CPOD SHU

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Strange.. I've never heard of a Mac randomly changing the case on filenames. I don't know if it has any baring, but HFS+ is not a case sensitive format. You might want to use something like "A Better Finder Renamer" to try and make all the file names lowercase.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Well, I don't know if its random exactly.
But there seems to be no reason for it, but my Mac will change index.htm into INDEX.HTM, or it will rename my images folder IMAGES.
and in the case of ... um.. case sensitive browsers this is disasterous.

Oh well, at least i only have to migrate my data once...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Cloudgazer said:
But there seems to be no reason for it, but my Mac will change index.htm into INDEX.HTM, or it will rename my images folder IMAGES.

Plenty of shell scripts on Goooooogle to help you with mass renaming.

I think the case problem has to do with how you burned your CD? What format did you choose?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Cloudgazer said:

Are any of the all uppercase names longer than 8x3? I think the reason may be because of the way Windows implements long filenames -- by default, I thought any short filename doesn't have case (it's all uppers, like in older versions of DOS before long filenames) unless you give it uppercase characters besides the first one (nothing special is done for Index.htm -- it's really INDEX.HTM, but I think if you name it iNdEx.HtM, that might be different, and you also might be a h@XX0r :p).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.