Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i downloaded a new driver (nvidia) for her pc and it started having problems like it would shut off randomly, now you turn the computer on and the moniter won't even turn on, what can i do??? I can fix it once i get it booted up but its not working!!!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
You should be able to start up using a generic mode to do some daignostics. If this is not possible, you may have to get a hod of a different card to test things out. Often firmware updates can cause wackiness. Especially if the drivers are nVidia and the card is a another manufacturer with nVidia chips. They have their OWn types of drives.

howard said:
i downloaded a new driver (nvidia) for her pc and it started having problems like it would shut off randomly, now you turn the computer on and the moniter won't even turn on, what can i do??? I can fix it once i get it booted up but its not working!!!

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
howard said:

try a different monitor

maybe the monitor got fried by an unsupported refresh rate

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
thx..

its not the monitor, i tried it using my ibook and it works fine,

how do i start up in a generic mode?

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
howard said:
thx..

safe mode is when you press f8 when windows starts up

does the machine post?

if it doesnt post, you have a hardware problem

a driver wouldnt be the culprit here since it loads with the os

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Yeah, typically you could boot into Window's safe mode, disable or uninstall the bad driver, and reboot to a normal windows enviroment. But man, if the monitor doesn't even show the post...you're screwed. Perhaps the video card is fried?

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i tried F8 which got me to safe mode then i did a system restore and all is well

thanks!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Sorry, I mean to cal it safe mode, but others helped you out and it seems all is working, so that is good.

Always be careful about FIRMWARE on the card itself. Drives can be restored, but the firmware can come from NVIDIA or the manufacturer. Sometimes they change some aspects of the cards to make them better or cheaper and the NVIDIA standard does not work well. The same is true with drivers. I had a leaktek nvidia card and the generic nvidia stuff never worked for it.,

howard said:
thx..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.