Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Last week, I bought a USB PCI card at Wal-Mart and installed it in my Powermac. Once it was in, it wouldn't go into sleep mode. It would kick the fans in high gear, lock up and require me to do a hard reset. Thinking it was the card (it was a no name brand from Wal-Mart after all), I yanked it out and returned it for a refund. Then, I ordered an IOGear card from OWC and received it today. I installed it, and same thing. After googling this, it seems that it's a common problem with Macs and PCI cards, and, well, I'm pissed. Does anyone know if there's a fix for this or if Apple plans on releasing one? Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's a blame war between Apple and PCI card makers. I'm honestly not sure what the issue is anymore. But guess what? I have an IOGear USB 2.0 PCI card in my Power Mac G4 and it won't wake from sleep anymore.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Eidorian said:
It's a blame war between Apple and PCI card makers. I'm honestly not sure what the issue is anymore. But guess what? I have an IOGear USB 2.0 PCI card in my Power Mac G4 and it won't wake from sleep anymore.

Oh, great :rolleyes:

I'm taking the PCI card makers side on this one. If one specific brand did it, then I'd say it's the card. But when pretty much every PCI card has this problem, then it's gotta be a bug in the PowerMac's firmware

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
yg17 said:
Oh, great :rolleyes:

I'm taking the PCI card makers side on this one. If one specific brand did it, then I'd say it's the card. But when pretty much every PCI card has this problem, then it's gotta be a bug in the PowerMac's firmware
Yeah, Apple doesn't seem to admit it though. So my Power Mac G4 now NEVER goes to sleep. It's in my office so I don't have an issue with it. The same this happens on another MDD with a Zip 250 and a Bluetooth dongle. It seems like USB powered devices and USB 2.0 cards seem to be the issue and how they interact with the power management hardware/software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.