PCs on Apple TVs

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by carguy21, Aug 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2013
    Would it be possible for me to stream my movies/tv shows onto an Apple TV from a PC? If so how would I do this? I dont want to have all of my movies take up a lot of space on my new Mac so I was thinking about using an old PC. I just want to figure this out before actually purchasing an Apple TV.
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 3, 2010
    Look at the program airparrot. It uses airplay and is for PC/Mac. I think it's about $15.00. So far, I've used it a few times but it has worked.
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2012
    Boston, MA
    As long as they are in mp4/m4v format, import them into iTunes and use home sharing. Will be much better than air parrot as air parrot uses a lot of resources to stream the entire screen on your PC. iTunes will stream just the movie file.
  4. macrumors 65816

Oct 31, 2010
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2013
    I have set up multiple friends with an AppleTV streaming from a PC perfectly fine. As lunaoso stated all you need to do is have home sharing turned on and it will work. As with a mac though you need to leave iTunes running or else it won't work though.
  6. Che Castro, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

macrumors 603

May 21, 2009
    Instead of getting another pc , since your worried about space in your mac for movies

Get an external drive , you can get a 3TB EXTERNAL drive for $129

Or what ever size you want , western digital or seagate

Your mac needs to be running iTunes in order to stream to Apple TV
    But your mac can be a sleep and still stream to Apple TV

That's what I do my mac goes to sleep after 3 hours, I can still watch movies on the Apple TV , the mac & monitor won't turn on when I play a movie during sleep mode