Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carguy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Would it be possible for me to stream my movies/tv shows onto an Apple TV from a PC? If so how would I do this? I dont want to have all of my movies take up a lot of space on my new Mac so I was thinking about using an old PC. I just want to figure this out before actually purchasing an Apple TV.

kevo1011

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Look at the program airparrot. It uses airplay and is for PC/Mac. I think it's about $15.00. So far, I've used it a few times but it has worked.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
As long as they are in mp4/m4v format, import them into iTunes and use home sharing. Will be much better than air parrot as air parrot uses a lot of resources to stream the entire screen on your PC. iTunes will stream just the movie file.

RiverbankGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I have set up multiple friends with an AppleTV streaming from a PC perfectly fine. As lunaoso stated all you need to do is have home sharing turned on and it will work. As with a mac though you need to leave iTunes running or else it won't work though.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Instead of getting another pc , since your worried about space in your mac for movies

Get an external drive , you can get a 3TB EXTERNAL drive for $129

Or what ever size you want , western digital or seagate

Your mac needs to be running iTunes in order to stream to Apple TV
But your mac can be a sleep and still stream to Apple TV

That's what I do my mac goes to sleep after 3 hours, I can still watch movies on the Apple TV , the mac & monitor won't turn on when I play a movie during sleep mode

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.