Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Hi,

After installing office 2004 on my iMac as well as acrobat reader I constantly get the PDF Maker toolbar appearing in my Office apps when I open them. Even though I close the pdf maker toolbars, whenever I reopen the apps it appears again. How do I permanently get rid of the pdf maker toolbar.

Thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
kkapoor said:
Hi,

After installing office 2004 on my iMac as well as acrobat reader I constantly get the PDF Maker toolbar appearing in my Office apps when I open them. Even though I close the pdf maker toolbars, whenever I reopen the apps it appears again. How do I permanently get rid of the pdf maker toolbar.

Thanks
Select File > View > Toolbars > Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker.
Make sure that Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker is unchecked.
Also, select File > View > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars/Menus....
Click the Toolbars tab.
Scroll down and uncheck Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ugh -- I think this may be a bug. It happens on a lot of versions of Office for Windows too. :(

Although it's especially annoying on a Mac where the whole utility is utterly lacking. Well, I guess unless you have indexing hooks in your Word doc that Acrobat can render and OS X cannot.... (at least, I don't think OS X will ToC your PDF?)

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
kkapoor said:
Hi,

Thanks

I remember reading about this in a newsgroup or something, but I can't find it for the life of me. As I recall the consensus was that this was intentional. And the only thing that took care of it on a PC was a registry edit. There was a brief mention of people with macs having this problem, but I dont remember anything more on it.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
This is damn annoying. Especiall since the toolbar doesn't remember its position in any app. It always opens in the same place whcih screws up my layout. Is there anywhere I can file a bug report on this to get it fixed.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
AHDuke99 said:
with microsoft? hahah! they move at their own pace and user input means nothing to them.

No actually I was referring to Acrobat, the Microsoft toolbar does remeber its position.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Getting rid of the PDFMaker toolbar

I prefer the toolbar, but if you want to get rid of it permanently do this:
Quit all Office apps.
Go to Applications:Microsoft Office 2004:Office:Startup:Word.
Trash the PDFMaker toolbar.
Create a FOLDER and name it PDFMaker.
Put it in the startup location.

That should prevent the toolbar from re-appearing.

However, Acrobat 7 can sometimes be sneaky...it will sometimes do a "Detect and Repair", which does 3 things: create the PDF printer, install Acrobat as the browser reader, and re-install the PDFMaker toolbars.

I prefer the toolbar, since I can do a one-click create PDF and mail; however, I also work in Acrobat extensively, so it's probably just an outgrowth of that. If you are content with Apple's PDF engine (or prefer using the Adobe PDF printer), the above should work.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I finally figured it out. Type in pdfmaker (one word) into spotlight and delete the pdfmaker.dot file for word and the corresponding files for excel/powerpoint and any other microsoft apps.

Hallelueah!!! (I don't know how to spell that)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm having the same problem, where the toolbar reappears when you reopen Word. I could delete the files, but then I'll lose the toolbar completely and won't be able to re-enable it when I want to use it.

I can't find a Create PDF option in Word's menus, surely the toolbar isn't the only way to make a PDF! (not counting Apple's built-in Print to PDF feature).

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
kkapoor said:
I finally figured it out. Type in pdfmaker (one word) into spotlight and delete the pdfmaker.dot file for word and the corresponding files for excel/powerpoint and any other microsoft apps.

Hallelueah!!! (I don't know how to spell that)
That will work, but the next time you open Acrobat, it will give you a warning dialog asking you if you want it to repair "something or other" (forget the exact details). Tell it no (or else the files you deleted will be put back) and check the box to never have it ask again. Then you will be free forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.