Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
A PDF is a metafile format, HTML is not. HTML isn't good with extended markup. Look how poorly some web building utilities code pages. Though, HTML was designed from SGML, which was for electronic publishing.

It won't be perfect, but thy this Adobe Convert PDF to HTML Tool.

Formatting will not hold well, if at all, and all of the great features of metafiles will likely be lost. For instance you couldn't imbed and application, font, etc...

It was once possible to convert a PDF to Text using OS Xs printing menu, but heck if I see it anymore. Maybe it was a an app.

I don't know if Adobe Acrobat can save as an HTML file, but it seems it should.

At worst, you could convert the PDF to another graphic format and set that as the background for a web page. Otherwise, most browsers can access a PDF.

Why HTML? and How cool is this. I hope I am wrong. This would be a great tool.

[EDIT] I may stand corrected Rokem.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, in my version of Acrobat (5.0.10) I can export all the images of a PDF (as JPEG, TIFF or PNG) and save the document as RTF... from there I could build an HTML document... but it isn't straight forward.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Eniregnat said:
You might be able to script a droplet that can do the conversion.

In the short term, a 30 day trial of program should work to batch RFTs to HTML.

There is also this Pearl app, but it's for text to HTML.

This might not instantly help you, but it is at least a bump.

i would say he wants to keep images, formating, etc. Short of recreating the pdf in html by hand their's no good universal way to do it, as you might of read on one of my earlier post adobe's own supported utility failed on me with a fairly simple pdf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.