Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think I'll get an iWatch either -- I tossed my last watch years ago, and I don't miss it -- but those are pieces of wrist jewelry I wouldn't wear under any circumstances. Apple's will look better at least.

I'm with you. I was late to the cell phone game but when I got hooked I no longer needed a watch. I have no doubt that the watch would be useful but it's another electronic gadget I have to baby.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'll consider it after seeing what Apple offers.

Has Pebble revealed what their post iWatch plans are? It seems to me that they have minimal chance of being able to continue selling their device (because no one will be interested) once Apple releases a smart watch.

Errr, except that if there even is an iWatch it will most likely only support iOS... that leaves hundreds of millions of Android users as a potential market.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Uncertain if they look more like my dad's old solar watch or the 80s calculator watch? :D

Related News: "Pebble Steel hits rock-bottom with new ugly watches"

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
pebble is gonna be ****ed when apple releases their i watch

Why?

Pebble supports Android as well, the iWatch will 99.9999% chance only support the iPhone. Even for iPhone users, the iWatch, like all products, won't satisfy all users.

Decent price for a decent watch... But how long will the battery last?

I get between 5 and 7 days - but it does depend on what apps you've got installed. You can certainly drain that battery faster, like others, who say their battery lasts a shorter time. Using the SmartWatch+ iPhone app for instance, with Pebble will definitely suck the life out - its nice though.

Last edited by a moderator:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well there are limitations to both the form factor and the financial resources they use for R&D. They are also constrained in how they can interact with the device.

No doubt Apple can do better, but for a 3rd party its a pretty solid device and once of the most simplistic looking.

I have the god awful red version from Best Buy, so it's a little embarrassing to wear. But I really love the thing. I can go without a watch, and this adds some core functionality to that.

That is a big price jump though. Nearly $100 on the MSRP from the plastic Pebble.

Well the thing is that the plastic version was true to the device. By nature it's not supposed to be a fashion accessory—it's more for geeks who tinker around with stuff. And that's fine. I've worn my share of plastic watches. But trying to fancy it up with some Timex quality bands for $100 more is pretty lame—especially since they don't mesh well with the device itself. I have nothing against the Pebble and came really close to backing it myself, but was skeptical at the time on how they were going to integrate notifications since iOS used to be so restrictive. I feel bad for them though. iWatch is going to crush them. Hopefully Android users help keep it alive because they are pioneers in wearable tech and deserve a chance.

Side note: I don't see how people think the iWatch will be a dollar less than $299 when even this thing with a b&w display and ugly design is priced at $229. People are in for some sticker shock. Making an iOS device that tiny is going to be expensive. $299 has to be a minimum, and if it isn't I'll be extremely shocked—and the device will either be less capable than we think, or use cheaper plastic or rubber materials in the design. Although they might create two tiers: a basic model like the iPhone 5C and a fancy model like the iPhone 5S.

jaaedwards

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
It lasts a week easy. And it's a genuine behaviour changer, for the better - it prevents the constant dip-into-pocket, flash-phone-screen, glance-and-drop-back-into-pocket that now plagues all our lives.

Plus, you know, it's actually real, and you can actually buy it right now, rather than 'might exist someday' :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Uncertain if they look more like my dad's old solar watch or the 80s calculator watch? :D

Related News: "Pebble Steel hits rock-bottom with new ugly watches"
Doesn't sound like it's for you, but it's for plenty of other people.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Ugly because?

Not disagreeing but having more context is useful. I personally don't like it because the screen has insufficient resolution. Gone are the days that we accept pix-elation of things like watch hands etc.

Personally I think it looks alright, but I agree on the screen. They at least need to add 4 or 8 bit greyscale - monochrome at 160x160 makes fonts look terrible unless they are huge. Trying to use iOS 7 style thin fonts is just not possible as they look horrible. Plus the watch hands look bad as well.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the original, (gray, with third-party leather band,) and think it's great. Battery lasts 3-5 days on average for me. My wife really likes it - I no longer pull my phone out of my pocket (or pick it up off the table,) all the time when at dinner or out somewhere together. I just glance at my wrist. (I am often on-call and need to pay attention to email 24/7.) Makes for a happier marriage. :D

Would I like a "more capable" watch? Sure. But the Pebble is light, battery lasts sufficiently long, and does enough to be truly useful. I don't think I'd buy an iWatch unless it has at LEAST a 3-day battery life (always-on, I can't stand the "screen off" nature of the Galaxy Gear,) along with noticeable enhanced functionality.

The ability to have basic functionality without being connected to my phone is also good - yeah, I can't do any internet-connected tasks, but I can still use offline apps.

Don't forget it also only takes like 2-3 hours for a full charge from dead... I charge mine every other day for an hour in the morning before I go to work.

----------

Personally I think it looks alright, but I agree on the screen. They at least need to add 4 or 8 bit greyscale - monochrome at 160x160 makes fonts look terrible unless they are huge. Trying to use iOS 7 style thin fonts is just not possible as they look horrible. Plus the watch hands look bad as well.

Yeah the watch itself looks great... they could have put in a higher res screen though.

----------

Damn... I just got my plain old plastic one at the end of April too... :(

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
It lasts a week easy. And it's a genuine behaviour changer, for the better - it prevents the constant dip-into-pocket, flash-phone-screen, glance-and-drop-back-into-pocket that now plagues all our lives.

Totally agree, I keep my phone in my pocket now 90% of the day, I can see who is calling (and dismiss it or answer it in my car) and see what emails or text are coming (and with pebble bits I have emoji's too)

On top of that I have had this for over a year now! Couldn't imagine going back to no-watch on my writs its juts too useful.

I will deff. look at any wrist device Apple produces but I have a feeling I will have had my Pebble for over 2 years by then.

----------

[/COLOR]Damn... I just got my plain old plastic one at the end of April too... :(

Ive had mine over a year and I'm still hesitant to get the Steel, I guess when its in BestBuy I will look at it and make the decision :)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Obviously, watch style is somewhere where each person's opinion varies - sometimes widely. I think the plastic Pebble is "boring but not ugly," especially with a leather band. I think the metal Pebble is "nice, but not breathtaking."

They'd have more success by releasing different styles of each - a few different style metal bodies, a few different style plastic bodies. But they're not rolling in cash, so one of each is likely all they can afford to develop right now.

Personally, I find the usability of the plastic Pebble outweighs the boringness of it to me. The metal one looks noticably better, but not enough for me to pay to upgrade. (If I could "trade up" and pay only the price difference, I might. But even that's not a guarantee. I'd likely need a discount off the retail price difference to make it a sure thing to me.)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
So what's the draw here? I haven't worn a watch for at least 15 years (I'm surrounded by clocks in almost every room, car, computer, iPhone and desk phones). So it's obviously more than time. I pull my phone out of my shirt pocket when I need to. I set different sounds for different people / events so I ignore the ones I can. Is there that much efficiency gained by having some functions on your wrist?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So what's the draw here? I haven't worn a watch for at least 15 years (I'm surrounded by clocks in almost every room, car, computer, iPhone and desk phones). So it's obviously more than time. I pull my phone out of my shirt pocket when I need to. I set different sounds for different people / events so I ignore the ones I can. Is there that much efficiency gained by having some functions on your wrist?
With the Pebble I can see the actual text of a notification without having to pull my phone out, and in places where sound would be unwelcome (like when I'm studying in the library). Furthermore I can install applets to display critical information at a glance, such as when the next bus arrives. And I can control my music remotely while the phone is hooked up to the stereo.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I see the use of the Pebble Watch.
I just think they priced themselves out of the market it is for.

If you would ask me what I would expect the device to cost, knowing what it does, I would have told you between $80 - $100.

A 2GB Amazon Fire TV is $99!

I realize it might be subsidized by content, but that is the market now.

I can't see spending +$200 to see the time and my notifications on my wrist.
And when Apple releases a $99 Nano watch that is tied to your phone in probably more ways, the price will be slashed.

Good luck Pebble, nice product and idea, but I am not your early adopter sucker.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I see the use of the Pebble Watch.
I just think they priced themselves out of the market it is for.

If you would ask me what I would expect the device to cost, knowing what it does, I would have told you between $80 - $100.

A 2GB Amazon Fire TV is $99!

I realize it might be subsidized by content, but that is the market now.

And when Apple releases a $99 Nano watch that is tied to your phone in probably more ways, the price will be slashed.

Good luck Pebble, nice product and idea, but I am not your early adopter sucker.

Part of the cost comes from its waterproofing; The Pebble is designed to handle up to 5 ATM, which is enough to go swimming in a pool with it.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

There are people who pay thousands of dollars to just see the time on their wrist. Watches are a notoriously fickle item. Obviously, they are a matter of personal style and function - some people don't care about style, but are willing to pay a lot for function; others don't care about function, and are willing to pay a lot for style.

I feel that the amount of function Pebble provides is just right for the money to me. Others differ. Some think it's an absolute steal, some don't find the functionality to be worth any amount of money.

It's not for you. It's that simple. But I sincerely doubt any Apple iWatch will be $99...

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
There are people who pay thousands of dollars to just see the time on their wrist. Watches are a notoriously fickle item. Obviously, they are a matter of personal style and function - some people don't care about style, but are willing to pay a lot for function; others don't care about function, and are willing to pay a lot for style.

I feel that the amount of function Pebble provides is just right for the money to me. Others differ. Some think it's an absolute steal, some don't find the functionality to be worth any amount of money.

It's not for you. It's that simple. But I sincerely doubt any Apple iWatch will be $99...

Yeah, its remarkable how much people pay for watches. While I dont think this is for me, i do recognize that it is a milestone in technology. It will certainly be a major thing for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.