Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Mac-McAfee

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Que the video of Steve Ballmer in 2006 laughing about the iPhone and then in 2014 eating his words. That's Pebble.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I charge my iPhone everyday. Even my Galaxy Note 4 friend charges his everyday too. Face it batteries aren't that great yet.

Well my BlackBerry Q10 can do three days at least so go figure. I have no desire to get a watch that needs to be charged everyday. In my mind, it is just plain dumb.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
People who don't own iPhones will get Android Wear. Like you did.

You're being obtuse.

Not everyone is going to spend 200+ for a bunch of features they may not want.

Pebble's "worst" enemy isn't the Apple Watch or Android Wear. It's Fit Bit and those devices which are lower cost and have similar capabilities.

Plus Pebble will be able to take advantage of some Android Wear features following its next major update.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I completely disagree. I'm confused why some posters here believe that anyone who wants a smart watch is going to fork over over $300 for one.

I'm confused by your post, mostly the "anyone" part. I can't speak for "anyone" but me but $350 isn't a particularly scary number to me. Once the final feature set of the Apple Watch is know & complete info on how it works is detailed I'll decide if its right for me. I'm very comfortable with $350-500 for the right smart watch.

I was a Pebble backer... Sold 'em while I could. Inexpensive but not something I want on my wrist plus buggy & limited uses.

I've had Fitbits (Flex, Force, Charge HR), fuelbands, & have a high end Garmin running watch. None of those compete with smart watches IMHO. They are pure activity trackers.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm confused by your post, mostly the "anyone" part. I can't speak for "anyone" but me but $350 isn't a particularly scary number to me. Once the final feature set of the Apple Watch is know & complete info on how it works is detailed I'll decide if its right for me. I'm very comfortable with $350-500 for the right smart watch.

I was a Pebble backer... Sold 'em while I could. Inexpensive but not something I want on my wrist plus buggy & limited uses.

I've had Fitbits (Flex, Force, Charge HR), fuelbands, & have a high end Garmin running watch. None of those compete with smart watches IMHO. They are pure activity trackers.

Context. When I refer to "anyone" here - I don't mean every single person. I am saying that out of all of the people that want a smart watch, not all of them will want to pay 300+ for it. That means there's a market for lower end smart watches.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
So was GoPro. Your point is?

1. GoPro was not crowd funded.
2. GoPro was founded 13 years ago
3. For a number of years GoPro has been dominant in its market.

1. Pebble was crowd funded
2. Pebble was founded a few years ago
3. Pebble has entered an emerging market where there currently is no dominant company.

Yea, basically the same thing. :rolleyes:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Pebble Unfazed by Apple Watch, Plans New Hardware and Software in 2015

He was wrong about the keyboard.

Ballmer said that it wouldn't appeal to business users without a keyboard. Considering this is one area where Blackberry still holds its ground, this statement wasn't necessarily wrong either.

Ballmer's true failing was his inability to see the smartphone market grow far beyond the business and prosumer niches it had occupied at that time.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Context. When I refer to "anyone" here - I don't mean every single person. I am saying that out of all of the people that want a smart watch, not all of them will want to pay 300+ for it. That means there's a market for lower end smart watches.

OK, but that's axiomatic. Out of all the people that want a care not all of them want to pay Mercedes prices. Out of all the people that want a dress shirt not all of them want to pay Canali prices. Ad infinitum.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
OK, but that's axiomatic. Out of all the people that want a care not all of them want to pay Mercedes prices. Out of all the people that want a dress shirt not all of them want to pay Canali prices. Ad infinitum.

But I was responding to a poster, not making the point out of no where. The argument was that... oh nevermind. You know or should know what it was :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Ballmer's true failing was his inability to see the smartphone market grow far beyond the business and prosumer niches it had occupied at that time.

Along with abandoning the market MS already had with Windows CE and Mobile.

They had plenty of enterprise users and consumer fans at the time who were familiar with those products, and were okay with them being updated while staying compatible. But MS threw them away.

Many consumer fans continued to use WM for years. Heck, in places like Spain, Italy and Russia, WM ruled a surprisingly long time after iOS and Android came.

As for enterprises, they do not like someone pulling the rug out from under them when they have millions of dollars invested in devices, coding and support. They would've stuck with WinCE if MS had. (Yes, I know it's still around, but you know what I mean.)

Blackberry made the same mistake. Many enterprises were heavily invested in custom BB apps, and felt abandoned by RIM when they pushed their newer systems in a vain attempt to compete on Apple's turf.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Along with abandoning the market MS already had with Windows CE and Mobile.

They had plenty of enterprise users and consumer fans at the time who were familiar with those products, and were okay with them being updated while staying compatible. But MS threw them away.

Many consumer fans continued to use WM for years. Heck, in places like Spain, Italy and Russia, WM ruled a surprisingly long time after iOS and Android came.

As for enterprises, they do not like someone pulling the rug out from under them when they have millions of dollars invested in devices, coding and support. They would've stuck with WinCE if MS had. (Yes, I know it's still around, but you know what I mean.)

Blackberry made the same mistake. Many enterprises were heavily invested in custom BB apps, and felt abandoned by RIM when they pushed their newer systems in a vain attempt to compete on Apple's turf.

Aye... I was one of those consumers. Owned three separate WM phones. But when they announced that "Windows Phone" wouldn't be backwards compatible, I said **** it to Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.