Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Anyone have a confirmed pentalobe screwdriver that works on the Apple Watch's Black Classic Buckle screws, so that you can swap the bands but use the OEM adapter?

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I've been searching all day for the right screwdriver. I even tried a P2 from Frys and it was too small.

I read on ifixit the size is actually an IPR3/TS3/P3. This is one size larger than what is used to open the iPhone case and I believe one size smaller than what's used on MacBooks.

Can someone confirm or tell us what you used successfully on the OEM Classic buckle adapter.

MarcW

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Maryland/DC
Can someone confirm or tell us what you used successfully on the OEM Classic buckle adapter.

I just got the Classic Buckle today. I have a set of 6 pentalobe drivers made by Wiha, tip numbers 1 through 6. The number 3 is the right fit for the screws in the buckle. #2 is has a lot of play, and #4 is too big. Now, are all pentalobe drivers by different makers the exact same? IDK. All I know is that the Wiha #3 works just right. There you go. Good luck!

And I'll tell you something else. The word I've picked up on the street is that the strap and lug width for the Classic Buckle is 22mm. My measurement shows the strap end to be more like 23mm. I've got a bunch of 22mm and 24mm straps from my traditional watch collection, so if I can squeeze some 24mm straps into the lug then I've got more straps to work with on my AW. And face it, after a while the AW gets a bit boring to look at, so you have to change it up with straps.

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I just got the Classic Buckle today. I have a set of 6 pentalobe drivers made by Wiha, tip numbers 1 through 6. The number 3 is the right fit for the screws in the buckle. #2 is has a lot of play, and #4 is too big. Now, are all pentalobe drivers by different makers the exact same? IDK. All I know is that the Wiha #3 works just right. There you go. Good luck!

And I'll tell you something else. The word I've picked up on the street is that the strap and lug width for the Classic Buckle is 22mm. My measurement shows the strap end to be more like 23mm. I've got a bunch of 22mm and 24mm straps from my traditional watch collection, so if I can squeeze some 24mm straps into the lug then I've got more straps to work with on my AW. And face it, after a while the AW gets a bit boring to look at, so you have to change it up with straps.

Thanks for the intel. I have a few bands already in and 24mm works like a charm on the 3rd party adapter. Now to find a Wiha #3....

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009

Can you post a pic of the Wiha #3, particularly the area with print on it indicating the size?

I recall someone saying there is a P3, which is a TS4; and people have been mixing up the numbers and using them interchangeably.

Is it this one?

Wiha 26763 P3 (IPR3, TS3) Precision Pentalobe Screwdriver

Last edited:

MarcW

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Maryland/DC
Can you post a pic of the Wiha #3, particularly the area with print on it indicating the size?

I recall someone saying there is a P3, which is a TS4; and people have been mixing up the numbers and using them interchangeably.

Is it this one?

Wiha 26763 P3 (IPR3, TS3) Precision Pentalobe Screwdriver

I'm not home to get you a photo, but there is a photo here of the set I bought through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26794-Pr...ewdriver/dp/B00GY8VQQE/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

If you hover over the photo to zoom in, you'll see one labeled 267IPR / 3IPR x 40. That's the one that works. It may be part number 26763 but when searching on that in Amazon for a single driver, the photo shows 4IPR, so who knows what you'd get if you ordered it.

Another source seems to have it correctly, though, here http://www.all-spec.com/products/26763.html?gclid=CLbdr-3-4cUCFdYXHwodRjkAQw and their description does indicate that it is equivalent to P3 or TS3.

imolarot

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
The guy over at unbox therapy says he used this screwdriver.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FIB&qid=1430542489&sr=8-38&keywords=pentalobe

The quality can't even begin to compare to Wiha but it is cheaper.

I purchased the one he linked to and it was too small, but there are so many different sellers that I'm sure the product varies depending on who you purchase from.

I ended up filing down the end to effectively make the tip larger, and it fit perfectly.

I would recommend going with one of the higher quality options, though, as I expect this screwdriver to give up after a few uses.

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
The guy over at unbox therapy says he used this screwdriver.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FIB&qid=1430542489&sr=8-38&keywords=pentalobe

The quality can't even begin to compare to Wiha but it is cheaper.

I received an identical looking one to this in an ebay auction with my lugs. the screwdriver stripped after 2 uses. I would suggest to go Wiha for 10 bucks and you'll never need to worry about having a mess of parts and no way to put them back together.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26763-Pr...8&qid=1433135926&sr=8-1&keywords=pentalobe+p3

I purchased this Wiha Pentalobe P3 unit and it was too big.

If Apple lists it as P2, I think that's what will work.

Also, for everyone claiming Wiha makes quality sets, I really don't see it. Looking at the tip of the driver, it is not a precise cut and doesn't look to be well-made at all. Unless I got a knock off, I would not recommend their stuff.

The description says a P3 but the pic shows a 4IPR. Needs to be a 3IPR.
You sure you ordered/received the right one?

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26763-Pr...8&qid=1433135926&sr=8-1&keywords=pentalobe+p3

I purchased this Wiha Pentalobe P3 unit and it was too big.

If Apple lists it as P2, I think that's what will work.

Also, for everyone claiming Wiha makes quality sets, I really don't see it. Looking at the tip of the driver, it is not a precise cut and doesn't look to be well-made at all. Unless I got a knock off, I would not recommend their stuff.

I bought they same from the same link and it should be here in Wednesday. I just noticed the photo does show a 4IPR but the description is for a 3IPR.

Did you receive a 4IPR or 3IPR?

Either way, I'll swing back Wednesday to update everyone.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
The description says a P3 but the pic shows a 4IPR. Needs to be a 3IPR.
You sure you ordered/received the right one?

This is what I received. It says 3IPR. It's just too big.

I doubt apples own specs would be wrong. Both Apple and iFixit say P2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I bought this set on someone else's recommendation but I still haven't received my adapters to confirm that it works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D9...epair+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=31jd2S0td4L&ref=plSrch

The bit included says it's a P2.

Maybe the aftermarket adapters use different screws.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. I just bought the same (good thing there's Prime shipping) and I'll have this and the P3 on Wednesday. I have the Classic buckle and will update everyone with my findings then.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My adapters finally arrived and they came with a screwdriver that looks just like the one that the guy from unbox therapy used.
I also tried the one from the 9-in-1 kit I linked above and I also tried my set from Wiha.
The one it came with worked best.
The one from the 9-in-1 kit worked but it's a tiny bit small and didn't bite as well. The bit itself wasn't marked but the kit only comes with two pentalobe sizes (one for opening iPhones and one for opening MacBooks and it sure wasn't the larger one).
The one from the Wiha set that worked was the 2IPR.
The 3IPR wouldn't even fit.
My screws though are painted/anodized and the coating might be making my head sizes a little bit tight so I can see where the 3IPR might be able to be used with naked metal screws or even with genuine Apple screws (this adapter came from China).
The 9-in-1 kit is handy just to have all the oddball sizes in one handy tool but I wouldn't really recommend it.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Ok. So I just got back from Frys, and it appears that the Pentalobe P2 driver from iFixit does not fit at all, and is too small as others have described. But looking at the tip of the ifixit driver, it looks like even worse quality compared to Wiha. So that may explain why some have rejected the P2 (if they used a no-name brand or an ifixit driver).

So I ordered a P2 from Wiha. Hopefully it fits. If it is too small, there is no Wiha driver that will fit. It will be something just smaller than a P3. Unless I received a defective P3 driver.

Bigck417

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
So I actually found a local store that carries Wiha brand products so I could test everything in store. Nothing I tried at my local Micro Center fit. And yes I tried the iFixit brand P2. That thing will strip your screws. I can confirm that the Wiha P2 worked perfectly. I tried the P3, and it didn't fit. The quality of the Wiha products was a great deal better than all the ones I tried at Micro Center. Here is the website for the shop I got it from. http://www.kctoolco.com . Apparently they specialize in this stuff, and you won't be getting knockoffs. I don't know how much of their stuff is on Amazon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 302

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Thanks for the feedback BigCK. Can you post more pics of that strap and info on where you got it? It looks great!

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
This is what I received. It says 3IPR. It's just too big.

I doubt apples own specs would be wrong. Both Apple and iFixit say P2.

Ok, was worried the same P3/3IPR I ordered from Amazon would not fit the Apple Watch's Black Classic Buckle screws based off what November Whiskey had said but to my surprise it worked!

I used the very same on my classic buckle (I have tried it on two different of Apple's Classic Buckles and it worked perfectly.

I also tried Gjwilly's amazon link and I can confirm none of those work.

Bigck417

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
Ok, was worried the same P3/3IPR I ordered from Amazon would not fit the Apple Watch's Black Classic Buckle screws based off what November Whiskey had said but to my surprise it worked!

I used the very same on my classic buckle (I have tried it on two different of Apple's Classic Buckles and it worked perfectly.

I also tried Gjwilly's amazon link and I can confirm none of those work.

Is this a Wiha? Because I tried a P3 at my local store and it was too big, by a decent margin. I went with the Wiha 2IPR.

Here is the link for my band. It's nice, but the buckle isn't super solid. But Horween leather is amazing. I ordered another one also.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233555960/two-piece-tan-chromexcel-horsebutt-watch

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194521711/made-to-order-22-mm-natural-horween

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I just received my Wiha Pentalobe P2 today (IPR2). I can confirm that this is a perfect fit for the OEM Classic Buckle screws.

The Wiha P3 is too big, and the iFixit P2 is too small.

I don't know why others have had different results, but I agree with Apple's own specs to use a P2.

Also, the Wiha P2 is EASY to use. There is ZERO struggle to line anything up or getting it to fit. It is a PERFECT fit.

If you are struggling like others have described, you probably have the wrong size or a poorly built one.

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
What's the final word here? Amazon prefered

I would go with NovemberWhiskey's recommendation and get the Wiha P2. The brand does matter this time as other P2's made by other brands (iFixit P2) just don't cut it.

I did have some luck with the Wiha P3 but it's not a perfect fit. It's a little too big and although I was able to use it on the Apple's Classic Buckle lugs, overtime I noticed it started stripping the top of the screws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.