Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I realize I do not have Caller ID, but I was always under the assumption that Caller ID was for people who called my phone that WERE NOT in my contacts. Is this false?

If so, then even my contacts come up as Unknown on my phone.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If you have no caller ID the phone doesn't receive any info about the number that is calling so it cannot look up the number to see if it's in your contact list.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
If someone calls your iPhone and they are not in your contact list, the iPhone should show you the number of the person calling. If the person calling is in your contacts list, then you will see the name and photo (if you have one) of the caller. If you're seeing "Unknown" when someone calls you, they are probably blocking their caller ID from being sent during the call.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Caller ID is a service from your phone service provider. It has nothing to do with your contacts. Back when Caller ID was introduced in the homes, the name of the person calling would show up on your home phone. No contact book was necessary. This only worked if you paid for the service.

Today, I didn't know people still went without caller ID. If you don't have the service, then having numbers in your contact book will do no good. However, I don't see why the phone number should at least show up. Must be bill collectors.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
You can opt to have your number hidden. I know my parents have a 'silent' number which means that it always shows up as 'unknown' when they call, even though I have their number in my address book.

For some reason your carrier might be blocking all numbers from showing up. I'd contact them first and then apple.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you don't have the service, then having numbers in your contact book will do no good. However, I don't see why the phone number should at least show up. Must be bill collectors.
As Jestered said, CallerID can be blocked to the point that it says Unknown instead of the Name/Number. When my wife calls from work using certain phones the hospital blocks the name and number and it shows up as unknown. It could be anyone that's blocking CallerID from showing up.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
A few years back my phone worked like the OP, I had no Caller ID yet my phone would register incoming numbersm but ever since i transfered over to teh iPhone i've been forced to answer ( on the + Side i have unlimited incoming calls)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.