Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Bought a 2017 Macbook Pro 13" TB 256G Space Gray - couple of days ago. I've been busy at work and still haven't got enough time to see if everything is okay.

I've been following MR for quite some time now and I've seen lots of threads of people mentioning about various issues with their brand new laptops. I need advice on how to check if things are fine in the laptop, like...

1. Display
2. Processor (Speed)
3. Disk Speed
4. Sound
5. Wireless Connectivity

etc.. Please add if there is anything else. Thank you.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Thank you for your reply, psymps. Will do both of them tonight.

What about Sound? Are there any that people in the community test?
I'm mainly concerned about the Display though. I read people complain about backlight bleeding and dead pixels and stuff? How do I check those things ?

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Thank you for your reply, psymps. Will do both of them tonight.

What about Sound? Are there any that people in the community test?
I'm mainly concerned about the Display though. I read people complain about backlight bleeding and dead pixels and stuff? How do I check those things ?

You are welcome.

For Sound, my best guess would be to run a frequency sweep program or audio test to check the full range of audio is being output. Other than that I'm unsure of any official guidance.

The easiest way to pick up backlight bleed is to go into a dark room, display a black picture on the laptop and check around the borders of the display to see if there is any light bleed. I think this method will also work for dead pixels although I think you will need a lighter picture displayed on your laptop

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The apple diagnostics test was okay. I ran the other tests. I'm happy with the results, specially because there are no dead pixels and backlight bleeding, at all.

Display:
50% brightness
IMG_3964.JPG

100% brightness (w/ keyboard covered)
IMG_3963.JPG IMG_3965.JPG

CPU:
geekbench cpu.png

SSD:
blackmagic disk speed test.png

Wireless connectivity:
While using AirPods, I get about the same coverage like my iPhone 5s. Expected it to be better. My iMac at work is a 2011 model and it has better range when it comes to distance from where the signal starts to drop. Not sure if that's the case with desktops but it seems that way, to me.

Sound: This is pretty awesome. Never heard any portable device audio to be this good.

For the premium we Indians have to pay for apple stuff, a laptop in this price range (after taxes) NEED to be perfect from every angle. I'm happy it turned out okay for me.

--- ---- --- ---- ---- ---- ----

This afternoon I was watching 'The Mummy (2017)' YTS 1080p rip in Quicktime. I could swear I saw that the contrast(gamma?) change suddenly in a scene for a second. I noticed this twice around 20 minutes mark, I skipped ahead and reversed but couldn't reproduce it myself. Googled the issue but but didn't find any solid answer. Anybody know what this is ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.