Perl: Ur doin' in wrong! (security update might break Perl)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by GeeYouEye, Feb 18, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial

2. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Perl is one of the worse languages when it comes to readability. I don't know why people still use it.

Back on topic... you think Apple would have tests to make sure they don't break simple things like this?
  3. macrumors 68040

Jan 10, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    IMO opinion Perl allows for the worst readibility, but bad programmers can make any language hard to read, and good ones can make almost any language readable. Perl doesn't REQUIRE you to write unreadable code.

I really have nothing to add that is on-topic. I'm sure we've all goofed with something like this at one time or another (if we've been doing this long enough).

4. Moderator emeritus

Aug 16, 2005

As I learned Perl I realized all that hard to read code was by choice of the programmers. Probably partly an elitist attitude of some, but Perl certainly can be very readable as other languages are.

Apple likely has tests for many things, but since Perl isn't there own thing, they likely don't give a ton of effort there or for most things in Unix underpinnings. Does seem like a very weird bug to emerge though. Maybe someone got click happy and deleted something then tried to remember what it was they just deleted and put the wrong version back in. Not likely, but it may have been an accident of some sort that no one noticed.