Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I changed HDs by cloning to an external drive, replacing the internal one and cloning to the new drive. After I did this, all my preferences are gone and permissions tell me I dont have access to my documents folder, etc. At least the data is all there. Yes I repaired permissions but that didnt work, I repaired permission before cloning to my new drive as well. Is there any easy way to get my system to clone over exactly as I left it.
Thanks

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
imnotquitesure said:
I changed HDs by cloning to an external drive, replacing the internal one and cloning to the new drive. After I did this, all my preferences are gone and permissions tell me I dont have access to my documents folder, etc. At least the data is all there. Yes I repaired permissions but that didnt work, I repaired permission before cloning to my new drive as well. Is there any easy way to get my system to clone over exactly as I left it.
Thanks

How did you "clone" in the first place?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Yeah I have done this using Carbo Copy Cloner and it works flawlessly. If you just did a drag and drop copy you probably lost a lot of stuff.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I didnt use carbon copy. I used Data Backup. My dad has it, so I used it. Im lazy thats why I cloned. I didn't want to reinstall and have to sort my files back out.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I know what I did wrong. I should have unchecked the "ignore permissions" box in the Get info window of the external drive. Will it restore my permissions if I archive and install from my Panther discs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.